Upgrade time, FX 8320 v. FX 8350

I know this topic might be a little worn out but I still need help making the decision.

What I plan to do on my PC:

Eventually record gameplay and makes youtube videos.

I don't overclock, and I don't think I'm going to be getting into it in the future.

So should I choose the 8350 for just more raw clock speed? Or just get the 8320 since I've heard it's the same chip but lower clock speed and save my money.

Any help you can give would be great guys thanks

If you aren't overclocking then you buy the fastest cpu that you can considering it's not going to get any faster. so 8350

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense, thanks

Since you have no plans for overclocking, I would get the FX-8370 w/ Wraith Cooler. Fastest of the normal (non-9XXX) FX CPUs, and you won't have to worry about getting a third-party HSF.

1 Like

What motherboard do you have? The 83xx can push some of them a bit too far, which is why AMD released the 8320E and 8370E.

Could you provide more information about your current setup, hardware specs.
And what are your goals with the system?

Here's the current setup:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nqXC3C

I'm not going to put the new CPU on my current mobo, I'm going to get this one when I get the new CPU:
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

Goals for system:

Gaming while recording/editing, possibly streaming as well. I eventually want to get a youtube channel going so that's what I want my machine to be able to do.

uhhh that's cool if you're down with spending the money.

i'd look into the board you have and what chips you can just drop into it.

i ended up dropping a 8120 (lower wattage 8 core) into my wifes motherboard and it was seamless and worked great.

edit: the 8120 was also $99 so it was a no brainer. 4 core to 8 core for $100

double edit: if you're looking at an 8350 and a new mobo, i'd take a look at intel instead. unless you really don't like intel or something. a 4 core intel is about the same as a 8350, and boards are about the same too.

Yeah I hear ya, but my board can't handle the kind of chip I want to put in it. We talked about VRMs in another post here.

the 8120 should work no problem on a 4+1 board. it's a lower wattage part.

as much as i love amd, if you're looking at a mobo + cpu, i'd consider intel

edit: otherwise, ya it looks good

1 Like

4+1 on an FX 8 core is a disaster in the making. It's been said over and over again. FX 8320 is a low(er) power part, but it's not THAT low...

honestly check out ebay, the 990FX and 8350 have been out for a while, in fact i just hopped out of mine and intel a new rig. You can get a nicer motherboard for quite a good price now.

Everyone saying intel, yes for daily run of the mill stuff go intel, but he is looking at gaming and capturing video and video editing, I wouldn't say AMD is a bad choice for that. 8 cores will help when doing that much heavy lifting across multiple threads. I think he has a solid foundation for what he wants to do.

As I said, I'm getting a different motherboard, one that can handle an 8350

I meant the 8320E. I got my numbers mixed up. That's the one I got for my wife. It was fine on a 4+1 for months and months. I think the internet gives things a bad name sometimes. Like the corsair cx power supplies being a complete fire hazard ticking time bomb waiting to kill you in your sleep, when really they're just not quite as good as some of the other ones out there.

edit: The 30W difference between a 8350 and a 8320E is a lot fewer amps at 1.4V.

Yeah your current motherboard i would personaly not recommend to trow a FX8 core on it tbh.
The VRM is not beefy enough.

But the thing is that the FX8350 is allready pretty old aswell.
And it needs a fairly decent mobo to work on properly.
Maybe something like the intel Xeon E3-1231-V3 with some cheap H97 board might be a better choice.
BUt it of course depends on what you can afford atm.

Yeah well the E models of the FX cpu´s are basicly still the same thing as their non E equilevents.
As soon as the turbo kicks in, they will use arround the same amount of power as their non E equilevents,
or atleast within a margin of error.
Because in the basics those chips are basicly still totaly the same thing.

Hey MysteryAngel, you provided me with this list last time I posted about an upgrade:

Asus crosshair V Formula Z 8+2 powerphase digi vrm
Asrock 990FX EXtreme 9 12+2 powerphase digi vrm
Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0 8+2 powerphase digi vrm
Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 6+2 powerphase digi vrm
Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 6+2 powerphase digi vrm, only 20 pci-e 2.0 lanes.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 revision 4.0 8+2 powerphase digi vrm.

970 board.

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 6+2 powerphase digi vrm
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P 8+2 powerphase digi vrm <---here's the one I chose
Msi 970A gaming 6+2 powerphase analog vrm,
Not the best overclockers board since it lacks on certain feutures like LLC.

I've seen a lot of people use it in their builds and it has good reviews. I know there's always gonna be better options, but isn't this a good one? If not then why?

Thanks for all the help you've given me btw x)

1 Like

Yes thats correct.
The list is still vallid.

I have the Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 revision 4.0 with a FX8320E running @4.4 ...
as I can tell gaming in 1080p with the R9 380 works fine ...

what OS do you want to use ...

even better idea wait on zen. by the time reviews are out, you might make a better purchase. or if it disappoints you can get a reduced price on skylake :) i know it a while to wait. but i think its a good thing to do now. where i live intel is far to expensive to buy.

its ridiculous how much they charge for a quad core i5 6600k. 359 or something, and thats before you count mobo costs. i7 6700k costs are in the >529 range

amd solutions are often the best value per dollar, and the 8350 is still a relevant processor by all means. mine still works great for gaming and rendering. single core may be slower than intel but the multicore is where you see value. rendering with adobe showed a better result than my brothers 2000 series i7.

imo just wait. cause better products always come along. and sometimes you get a better deal on something that was ridiculously priced.

PS nothing against intel but 500 dollars for a cpu is ridiculous considering how they even cut the stock cpu solutions out. and did the whole overclock lock out thing with the k processors

edit: also forgot to mention. zen will support pcie 3.0 and ddr4 natively. something you might want to consider if you want a hbm based graphics solution.i believe the pcie 2.0 acts as a bottleneck for hbm solutions. something about prefetch not working correctly and causing instability issues