Upgrade Setup (updated 2020/01/06)

Have two things,

Firstly looking to upgrade my monitor setup.
Currently have two Monitors on my desk, want to upgrade to three using desktop clamp mount.
I have seen the VisionMount VM-GM134D that looks alright, how good is that mount?

Secondly starting to think about building a new PC.
Building a new PC.
Current build is DEAD:
Intel Core i5 4690K
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce

Budget: around $2000 AUD

Where do you live Brisbane, Australia
umart.com.au is preferred
Gaming computer
Do you overclock: Possibly, but not necessary
Cooling: CLC
No New os needed (Using Windows)
What resolution will you be playing at? currently 1080, 60hz , though might go to 1440, 120hz||240hz monitor
I play Most types of games

Case:
I’m thinking around the $50 - $140 mark,
good airflow, probably mesh front
Side panels does not matter , do not care if I can see the internals
Want to put radiator at the top with 3 fans in front.

Motherboard:
At leas 3 Sata ports for my storage SSD’s, 1 x M.2 for the system drive
Also do not have a AM4 chip so either has current bios or can flash without a chip installed.

Old List: PCPartPicker Part List

Looking to buy soon, current computer has just died on me.

Dropped the new graphics card for the one i currently have, will update to a new one at a later date.

Though still deciding on if i’m going it the 3600 or a better cpu/motherboard.
Suggestions Welcome.

Still building for gaming at 1440p 120hz (I expect that i will need a GPU upgrade to achieve that)
Budget is still $2000 AUD (though not including a GPU as that will be a purchase for later in the year)

New List: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($157.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($238.00 @ I-Tech)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($88.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.00 @ Umart)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($22.08 @ Amazon Australia)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($22.08 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $1258.16

Stay away from Aio’s … A standard overkill aircooler is better money spent.

MB. ? Why get a 3600 without taking advantage of new tech that comes with it? No pci-e gen 4 storage or wifi ax /bt 5.0. I realize it matters little with gpus but…storage. It will mean a great deal in a short period of time. Like this year.

Team dark ha 3200 14 14 14 31 at 99 US to Gkills neo… Pricing translating does not always work well :slight_smile:

Really… Build to take advantage of the new tech with ryzen 3000… do not cling to old. It will not serve you well with this gen release of products.

This gen of products is a gen of building with the future in mind. Avoid building with old gen mbs ect… You will come to regard it in short order…

2 Likes

Completely opposite opinion here.
AMD only promised backwards compatibility until 2020. So your shiny new MB with all the new Features might not support next gen AMD CPU’s.
Other than some NVMe Drives there’s nothing on the market that’d use PCIe 4. And even with storage i’m sure you’re hard pressed to find a workflow that’s limited by 2-3GB/s R/W on PCIe 3 Drives.
Same for Wifi ax. Apart from the fact that you’d need a router that supports that (expensive), what are you trying to transfer over wifi that would need that? Do you have 10G Internet? Or a storage Server you’re trying to edit 8K footage of over wifi?

Really, there is no reason to spend double your CPU’s price on a Mainboard. A 3600 isn’t exactly high-end. So the chance of OP getting into ultra-highend GPU’s that NEED PCIe4 x16 next year (if they even exist) is pretty slim. If you’ve got 200-300 extra bucks to spend on a Mainboard, put that into a better CPU. That’s real-world performance improvements you can use NOW.

Buy what you need, when you need it. Not what could be.

Edit: You can always get a 80$ Board now and put your 3600 on a X570 Board used when you need PCIe4 later. Those boards will only get cheaper over time.

One intel shifted to adopt pci-e 4. Faster storage will always have its merits in context. Wifi ax is pretty new expensive and even if this gen is a lack of interest the next will be more affordable maybe ever with better performance.

I am personally excited about the improvement to sound streaming bt 5.0 represents.

Purchasing an 3600 only to get a x470 mb is literally just throwing money away on stuff you will never try to use.

Fucking stupid…

Lets get some increased single thread performance but throw away the rest ? It is the dumbest thing I have seen the tech/youtubers promote.

I agree that at least part of this is hanging in the air and may change to something else at some point.

Faster storage is never a waste even if it is short lived.

Improved wifi is the same.

BT is the only muh but I happen to use it everyday.

The price premium is based around mostly this and the improved single thread performance.

You should think about that.

Only if you’re using it. I could buy a 600HP Car that goes fast around a track for much money. But if all i ever do is commute through a large city, all that power means nothing. Some people might still want it just because, but you won’t get anywhere faster compared to a camry.
Very few applications will be faster by using a PCIe 4 SSD. And even then, most of the time the human is the bottleneck.

Correct. Get a B450 Board. Half the price, basically the same features. We already now the 3600 won’t overclock and it’s an entry level chip. The VRM Design shouldn’t be a major concern here, if you go with a higher end B450 Board.

Again, i’m not saying those are useless features per-se. Just that 99.999% of people can’t use them now or won’t notice a difference.

No one is stopping you from upgrading your board if you ever feel the need for PCIe 4. Worst case, you spend 80 Bucks on a B450 Board, resell it for 40-50 and get a X570 Board. You spend maybe 40 Bucks for the potential to save 300-400 on a board.

X570 Boards are relevant to higher-end chips (3800X and up) and edge cases where IOMMU Groups are relevant or the best VRM out there is needed. I don’t see any of those usecases here.

It’s been a long time that intel shifted anywhere. They’ve been riding the same architecture for years. And even IF they come around with PCIe 4, you can be sure they’ll lock that to HEDT Platform and Servers for some time.

If you buy the current gen amd cpu’s without also purchasing the respective mbs … you are literally throwing your money away and most of price premium.

I did not make this shit up… and time will prove it out.

So you have a source for that?

The 3600 still has much better performance than the 2600, especially in gaming. You get that on any Board. And if you’re spending 300 bucks extra, wouldn’t you rather get 2 more cores and even more single-threaded performance over storage and wifi you can’t use?
Buying a Board with features you don’t use over a better CPU is figuratively throwing your money away.

I’ll leave it at that. I’m sure OP can make their mind up and we’ve both extensively argued our position. Enough material here to make an informed decision.

The wifi is proving out to be even more solid at current rate ac then ac. :slight_smile:

Op… do more research and get more opinions. I recommend direct use cases.

I get the perspective. I do not agree with it. Performance for dollar is basically throwing away 3/4 of what makes Ryzen something of interest to purchase in my book. You should not just single out the single core performance. Which is great for amd but not the whole story or even half of it.

I’m not comparing it to anything else really.
It’s just 3600 on B450/X470 vs 3600 on X570. One costs 300 Bucks more and doesn’t have a tangible benefit at the moment (and likely won’t have for some time). That’s it.

I’m with @domsch1988 on this, the 3600 is a very fine, budget oriented CPU with great base performance to do anything you want. You don’t need a board with PCIe4 to take advantage of that. The moment today’s SSDs have to write a lot of data in one go, you can even max them out with PCIe2.0 because the TLC and QLC slowdown kicks in.For GPUs new standards tend to not be required for quite a while and that is nothing new. I remember AGP3 being all the rage and my AGP2 board was doing completely fine for years. And personally I hate most X570 boards for their stupid chipset fans anyway.

In terms of cooling I’d agree that AIOs are the hype thing to do but high quality air cooling can outperform that and won’t have the risks of pump failure, leakage and of course no pump noise. I noctua everything, I know why. :stuck_out_tongue: Look for the NH-U12A.

The MX500 is not the fast kind of M.2 by the way, go with a Samsung 970EVO for that, you want that NVMe low latency response.

Also you might want to take the RX5700XT into consideration. The Sapphire Pulse is a good option there.

And check if the RAM is on the supported parts list of the motherboard.

For me ? Just overclock the last gen till you kill it on the cheap?

…speaking of wasting money …

I can also recommend the beQuiet Pure Rock if it should cost a little less. I’m running my 3600 with that and it’s perfectly fine.

I agree generally.

But it kinda depends on budget and board features needed,
there are also decent solution on x570 available.
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite for example pretty decent board for the money.

So yeah if topic starter ever has plans to upgrade to a 3900x / 3950x,
then investing in a decent x570 board now makes sense.

2 Likes

Build looks good, though I’d replace the casefans with Noctua P12s instead of the S12s if you have anything within 50mm in front or back of those fans (like any front panel or dust filter). For the same price, more airflow will make it through any type of resistance with the P12s.

That AIO isn’t bad but you’ll need to order an additional AM4 bracket to use it (I am using the same AIO in my system). I’d get a decent aircooler like a hyper 212 would be good and also save 50-60 AUD

1 Like

Thanks for you suggestions :slight_smile:

Looking to buy soon, current computer has just died on me.

Dropped the new graphics card for the one i currently have, will update to a new one at a later date.
Switched the cooling and fans.

Though still deciding on if i’m going it the 3600 or a better cpu/motherboard.
Suggestions Welcome.

Still building for gaming at 1440p 120hz (I expect that i will need a GPU upgrade to achieve that)
Budget is still $2000 AUD (though not including a GPU as that will be a purchase for later in the year)

New List: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($157.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($238.00 @ I-Tech)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($88.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.00 @ Umart)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $1258.16

Coming closer to the final build.

Here is the build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 PWM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 PWM 120 mm Fan

Here is the Umart build and expected cost to purchase .

How does the build look?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.