Upgrade GPU / CPU

My PC:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Hard Drive:6 TB Total
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II OC

I do a lot of design, video editing, vfx, some 3D.
I use adobe programs, autodesk maya/max also cinema4D.

I m thinking of upgrading my graphic card to Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Tri-X or is it beter to go for GTX 980 Ti but there is the price and 390X has 8GB.

Also thinking also thinking about new CPU some new AND processor with 8 cores more or less top of the line. Is it better to totally switch on new build and take the intel rode? And bild X99 sistem.

depends how much you wanna spend, if you want to switch to x99 then you will have more performance but you will spend quite a bit doing it lol

1 Like

If you have the money, just go X99. Otherwise grab an 8350 and a good cooler and start OCing. Also get a new GPU, like the 960? Iirc the 960 was a good media GPU for some reason. Don't remember why.

1 Like

Yes but i don't know if is worth going to x99 this pc now its not to bad if i upgrade GPU and CPU. If i go on x99 it will be pretty much a waste of money that s what i think. What are your thoughts on this?

Well, there are two routes you can take. The first is keep your current rig, which by my reckoning can do fine with the editing and design work, maybe add a little bit like more RAM, and a new GPU, and then, on the side, build a very powerful, but partially budget, X99 rig, reusing some old parts like the GPU and using it as the rendering rig.

The other route would be to replace your old rig, which means you want to spend a lot of money for speed and all that goodness.

Something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BYJV99 Would be a fairly powerful rendering rig, and would maintain its silence, something that I feel like is important, just personal opinion. Toss in your GPU and you are good to go as a render rig, toss in a 980Ti or whatever and you got yourself a replacement rig. It is fairly expensive, but it won't disappoint, hell you can even game without worrying too much on it, for whatever that's worth. Lots of tweaking can be done too.

My thoughts on you getting a 980Ti or a 390X is that currently your rig, and what you can upgrade to are extremely underpowered. GPU acceleration, while it is catching up, isn't as good as we'd hope it is with the programs you use (to my knowledge). A serious overhaul now, rather than doing it one part at a time would save money in the long run, esp. since you are jumping to the newer platforms, like DDR4. Up to you, dunno what your exact line of work is, and how much you actually produce.

1 Like

Sell off what you can and move to a new socket - for what you do: editing, design so forth X99 is perfect. Add to that a kick-ass gpu when the time comes.

1 Like

get better gpu. No point to spend 650+$ on 980ti, get 290x or nv970

1 Like

Probably will buy Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X OC an a new processor. It is the best option with performance and money for now i think.

i'd hold out with cpu, from amd there isn't a lot of room for improvement (you can actually gain more by overclocking ~ getting some water loop for cpu ~ than on amd platform at this moment)

I'm a huge AMD fan I have the FX-8350 and love in and a HIS 7970 im going to crossfire it soon with a R9 280X

Just so you know i updated to ASUS STRIX

Now im looking to buy AMD FX-9590 what do you think and what do you mean about cooling it whit Noctua NH-D14.