Upgrade from the Nvidia Shield?

I’m curious what you guys would recommend for a tablet to upgrade to from the Nvidia Shield.

I like my Shield tablet but I’d like to be able to get the latest software updates too so I’m thinking about upgrade options.

Are there any good tablets in the market for gaming/media consumption with front facing speakers?

Not a lot to pick from, Huawei media pad M5 or Samsung Galaxy tab A might suit your needs.

1 Like

Unfortunate, I was hoping that moving into the wonderful year of 2020 would provide me with a cornucopia of options that were lacking when I got my Shield.

This tablet is so perfect for me, that I really wish Nvidia would just release a follow-up.

Tbh I would just get the regular ipad if I were you, very good value for money.

1 Like

I’m not sure I could exist in an Apple ecosystem. But thanks for the suggestions, I’m looking at your other suggestions now.

2 Likes

When my Shield Tablet finally crapped out, I went to a Samsung Tab A, but I have cut my droid usage down to a minimum. I mostly just use my tab for reading PDFs, comics, and anything I do not feel like reading on my laptop.

If you were using it as a more media/gaming centric device then the options are lower, as the K1 GPU really doesn’t have any comparison still, unless you want a less mobile option, like the Shield TV; which has a the Nvidia X1 GPU.

If you like the X1 GPU and having a mobile option, maybe get a used switch and load android on it?

That’s what I was worried about. I remember it being a big deal back when I got it, hell, it was part of the reason I went for it. Was hoping that other tablet makers caught up with them in the meantime.

Do they have it fully fleshed out? Like HW acceleration and everything? If so I might actually give that a shot.

Related Note: I was actually mad (half-jokingly) at the Switch for probably taking the spot of an Nvidia Shield 2 because it’s so similar to the original tablet just with joycons strapped to it.

What?
Not sure what you mean by this, but an iPhone 11 has a several times faster GPU.

Separate ecosystems, so there is loss on already bought apps.

Then there are Tegra exclusives if you’re already in the sub eco-system niche. No other mobile SOC can run the apps that are specifically developed to run on Tegra. IDK if @Calvin bought into the Tegra exclusives, but that sunk cost may play a factor in the decision going forward.

I am not debating the raw performance, but the ability to continue to use software already purchased, and likely enjoyed.

I recall reading last summer that GPU acceleration had been figured out, but I didn’t follow it too closely

Google pixel slate Tablet would be my recommendation.
You’ve already stated Apple is not an option.
Nice screen, Intel 8th Gen cpu + Iris Plus Gpu
Chrome_OS = Your Android Apps function
Gets updates (or nuke it and install a Linux distro later)

Can be cheap on the used market or purchase directly from google (I wonder if they have a refurbished store like Apple)

The Pixel Slate actually looks like a really good option; it has the front facing speakers, don’t know much about the CPU+GPU but it seems like it should have a fair bit of power based on a cursory search, and it looks like it should have a pretty nice screen.

I’ll definitely be looking at it quite a bit.

It runs a full fledged x86 Intel CPU, so it’s plenty fast.
The weakness is the GPU.

How bad is the GPU? For gaming, I’d probably mostly use emulators.

It’s not that bad per se, as far as mobile goes.
I can’t comment on emulator performance.

Either way coming from a shield tabled you’ll likely be satisfied with the performance.