Upgrade from 8350 to Ryzen

The Asrock X470 Taichi will be a decent choice.
It offers really good value for money as far as features, connectivity options and vrm design aswell.
The bios from Asrock could still be improved on certain things.
But overall the bios is fine.

Also yeah according to 2700X vs 2600X for 1440P gaming.
Well of course the 2700X is the best you could get atm wenn it comes to Ryzen.
But with a GTX970 on 1440p it probablly wont really make a huge difference in raw gaming performance between both cpu´s.
Because you will be gpu limmited most of the time.

In general the 2600X will offer better value for money wenn it comes to raw gaming performance.
Unless you really have plans to upgrade to the highest end gpu’s in the near future.
Then the 2700X is probablly going to be the better buy overall.
Allthough that also really depends from game to game and how well they scale over multiple threads.

Check the price difference to the ultimate, that varies from region to region. Here in Germany it is like 40,- bucks more and that is well worth it.

@MisteryAngel, OP states that there is interest in linux, virtualization and so on. So it isn’t gaming only.

1 Like

yeah, it’s a less bad kind of jank than msi or GB have in their UEFIs

its clunky but functional rather than slick and buggy

1 Like

I have to point out that with X370 Taichi & overclocking, these p states sometimes work, sometimes work differently, and sometimes just dont work

With latest UEFI I havent figured out how to make it work, and its locked to 24/7 max clocks

So, that said, I dont see why wouldnt this be the case with other AsRock boards that its going to just be like that

eh, you only need 1 core for IO on the host in my experience, and ryzen gaming performance flattens out past a certain core count. you even got regressions in some cases because of worse boost due to the higher power draw. I’d say the 6 core is “enough” unless he has to compile nightly builds of openoffice

@MasterNurmi OP said he doesn’t care about OC

Then the additional cores on the 2700X could be handy to have.

For a long term system (4-6 years) it would not make sense to not go with the eight core. 35% more potential performance, higher clocks from day one, for just 100,- bucks more compared to the overall system cost…

where are you getting 35%

theoretical = 25-33% depending on how you want to do your math.

I work day to day on both a quad and octo-core system, doing rendering, VFIO, video editing, games and other intensive processes. There’s very few things you notice a difference in, and that’s probably not going to change over the lifetime of the system, especially not in the mitigated case of 6 to 8

not saying either one is a bad processor, but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks and the hexacores are better value for money

When I say “more performance” that obviously means over the six core. And two more cores / 4 more threads is one third more. Also the 2700X has a bit higher clocks and a tiny bit more cache. So I thought 35% at least but ok, let’s say 33% more potential performance. That is still a steal for 100,- bucks.

I would agree if it could work on it’s own, without a board, a PSU, RAM, a case … but it can’t. So you have to look at system cost.

That’s the thing though, there are like, 2 things that will scale linearly with more cores

compiling
and high bitrate video encoding
that’s pretty much it.

My framerates when moving from a fury and 8 floating thread VFIO to 12 thread io isolated VFIO went up like Âą0-5% (overclocking actually kept the skylake box at better framerates, so I cut it back to stock for comparison purposes, and it was still a wash)

(also, no one cpu renders blender, or any other 3d program. renders and HEVC/h264 are 100% accelerated by your gpu or off-logic cpu asics now)

I’d be willing to bet you a hundred bucks right now that there will be nothing a mainstream computer user won’t be able to do on a 6 core that they can do on an 8 core at an acceptable level of quality 5 years from now.

1 Like

That is the weakest bet I have ever heard. :rofl:

Look, we disagree. I don’t know what will happen, you don’t either.
I would go for the eight core.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

remember how fast everyone dropped 32 bit support and optimizations once intel started manufacturing x64 parts?

remember how fast multithreaded programming on x86 caught on when the athlon x2 came out?

Remember how fast we dropped ps2 ports when usb came out?

average time to dropping legacy support in this space is close to 20+ years, and quad cores in the mainstream market aren’t considered legacy by the majority of people. It definitely doesn’t help that multithreaded programming is hard as hell for a lot of different applications.

Even for demanding work, quad cores are gonna be at least supported, and hexacores will be absolutely fine for the forseeable future. No commercial software is going to risk dropping support that early, and no open source project won’t be forked or PR’ed to hell for doing the same. I mean hell, there’s a thread here dedicated to making a powerPC-only linux distro.

premiere only got higher than 8 thread rendering last release, and AE still doesn’t do it well.

so you lose performance on the 2 things that can scale linearly with more threads, if you even use them. If you want to build a transcoding and ingestion server or a build system, go with more threads, sure.

1 Like

Get the fastest CPU you can afford. The more cores the better, for future-proofing. You can always add MHz, but you are stuck with the number of cores.

For RAM, get whatever is in your chosen motherboard’s QVL. 2400-2666 is a good speed, and since you will be gaming at 1440p high RAM frequencies won’t be that big of a deal, especially with that video card you plan on keeping. 16GB (2x8GB) is fine for current stuff, but since you want to future-proof try to go with 2x16GB sticks instead. Running with all four DIMMS populated is always a bit of an issue.

For motherboards, it depends on what you are after. X470 boards will get you the most expansion capabilities and more extensive i/o options, not to mention better power delivery (for overclocking). Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI are all good options. I have an older Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 and it serves me well. GB’s uefi is nothing compared to Asus’ in terms of options and usability, but it’s good enough and has given me no problems; all the necessary options are there and overclocking is easy.

1 Like

As far as I know the infinity fabric speed is still directly connected to the RAM frequency. So for getting most out of the CPU you would want to go with a bit faster RAM. And let me reverse your argument that you made for the CPU: You can always buy more capacity, but you will be stuck with the slower speeds. :wink:

seconded, there are diminishing returns past 3k though, and I’d still say stick to the qvl, because the straps on a lot of UEFIs are finnicky

1 Like

You can always overclock the RAM. It’s a pain in the ass, but you can do it.
Yes, the infinity fabric is tied to your RAM frequency, but there have been tests done that show that the gains only are apparent in certain situations. The most obvious is when the CPU is the bottleneck, like when gaming a 1080p or lower with a high end GPU. The same usually applies to more productivity oriented tasks as well, but of course there will always be specific cases where high frequency RAM is beneficial.

I would check if there is a Microcenter nearby
299 for the 2700x plus 30 off the MB or the 1700x for 199 plus 30 off.

I’m a MB agnostic, my current mb came free with my cpu

Unfortantely theres no microcenter in the pacific north west. Its a real shame.

don’t y’all have fry’s