Upgrade Advice - Out of sorts in recent months

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted here, last time I did it was still Tek land :s But in any case I hope you are all well.

Apologies as I know some other threads exist in this similar vein to what I'm about to ask but having read through none really cover what I'd like and need to know. Long story short I've fell out of the Tech world and haven't kept up with any changes. I have my rig which is over 3 years old now and due an upgrade especially since Destiny 2 is due out for PC in a few months. I'm looking to upgrade the Mobo, CPU and RAM only due to cost limitations but I'm not even sure what chipset is out these days, is it still z99 or has something bigger and better been released?

My current rig is as follows:

Corsair obsidian 750D - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 MoBo - AMD FX 8350 CPU - Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - MSI GTX 1060 3Gb - Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb SSD - WD Black 1Tb HDD - EVGA 750W SuperNOVA PSU - Noctua NH-D14

Again my knowledge is lacking these days but GPU should be ok, can't really afford to upgrade that and doubt I'd get much of a performance increase for the 1070 or 1080 (apologies if that is incorrect) but I know my CPU is holding it back and causing a bottle neck.

So my question is what (for the best price) can I look for in terms of a new MoBo, CPU and RAM?

It really depends on your budget and if you would like to stay with AMD or switch to intel. If you are thinking about switching to intel then you could get those 3 parts for around $250-$300. I would probably recommend a skylake either an i5 or an i7 depending on budget then you could just pick up a 232 board with some basic ddr4 RAM. If you are interested I am selling one of those boards for a great price. However if you would like to stay with AMD then I can't help much because I haven't followed that line of products.

Thanks dude - appreciate the advice. I'm not fussed about brand, I've gone where cost takes me lol.
I do appreciate the offer to sell but I'm based in the UK so I suspect getting items over to me would cause an issue.

My budget is about £300 which equates to $380.

I know ryzen was making waves but don't know much more about it than that lol.

if i were you i would get a r5 1600 or 1600x a cheap 350 board (msi or asus) and 8-16 gb of ddr 3000 or 3200. contact noctua after you buy the board and cpu and they'll ship you a free ama4 bracket for your cooler.

I agree with @fredrich_nietze. Right now I think Ryzen has the best price to performance available for your budget.

Problem is that £300 is just underneath the good parts :frowning2:

For £310 you can get a Ryzen 5 1400, ASRock B350M Pro 4, and 16 GB of Corsair LPX 3000.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Wr43F

For £360 you can get a Ryzen 5 1600, ASRock B350M Pro 4, and 16 GB of Corsair LPX 3000. I think this would be the better of the two options. Since it would give you an additional 2c/4t

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JkhWLD

Thanks all - the £310 build is reasonable and I can look to stretch over just a little.

Like you I'd prefer the Ryzen 5 1600 but the additional £50 is a bit of a stretch :frowning:

Would 8GB RAM be a suitable replacement for the 16GB if it knocks some money off? What benefits are there to going for 16 GB?

Appreciate the advice thus far :slight_smile:

Just save a bit longer. Stay patient and watch the sales. Right now Amazon has been cheaper than most others on Ryzen procs.

Bios updates are still coming out rather quickly as they fix things. Waiting a bit would be advantageous.

1 Like

If your using a 1080 monitor you could start "laying the groundwork" for making the switch to 4K.
At this time I would start looking at monitors, depending on what you have.
I am waiting for Ryzen 2
I bought a Phenom 1, when Phenom II came out shortly after it was not funny :slight_smile:

Since you are only gaming and maybe some web browsing you should be fine with only 8GB of ram. I my self have 16GB in my laptop which I only need because I go some light video editing. I know 8GB should be fine because I also dabble with virtual machine and have run Windows 10 in a Guest Machine and Windows 8.1 in the host machine. I have divided my 16Gb equally between my host and Guest and as long as I didn't do anything more demanding than gaming in the host machine while the guest was running I didn't notice any performance lost. Windows 10 doesn't require anymore memory than Windows 8.1 so you should be fine if you want to get only 8GB of ram. I don't know if you know Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 will only run in Windows 10. The reason is Microsoft is forcing every one to upgrade to Windows 10. Some one did fined a work around , but who know how long that will last before Microsoft doesn't patch that work around if they have done already. The only other advice I could give you about ram is don't go below 8GB Windows runs like crap on less than 8GB. The only reason I am getting 64GB ram for my upgrade and getting an Ryzen 1700 is I need the increase in ram and cores for the experiment I now what to do. Like run 3 or 4 virtual machines at the same time, FreeNas, and Pfsence.

Thanks all.

4k will be something I work towards but 1080 gaming at this stage is fine for me. However does anyone know when the next round of Ryzen is due? Any chance it's before September if this year?

Yep no video editing or virtual machines for me, just gaming and web browsing so I'll stick with 8GB RAM for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

"AMD's Ryzen 5 series also includes the 4C/8T 1500X and 1500, but we think AMD's $220 Ryzen 5 1600 is much more interesting."

$190

Or maybe you could find a nice deal on a used Z97 mobo with a 4790K.
Then you could re-use your current memory.
Would be a decent ugrade for now, since its mainlly for gaming.

1 Like

I am using a mere 4690K on Z97. I keep wanting to upgrade. I even had a Z170 mobo in my house.
But IRL, I have no need to upgrade. a 4.5GHz i5 suits my needs 95% of the time.

Hey Sasuke. For that budget, Ryzen 1600x seems to be the best option. Google it up. you might find deals over newegg and PCpartpicker not exceeding $250 mark. That said, you might still be able to save a good hundred and thirty bucks given that £300 equals $380.