[Updated] New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV series Coming in 2017

Bryan Fuller (Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Hannible) is on the team for the new Star Trek show.

Not sold yet... this guy mainly worked on ST: Voyager, which isn't saying much in my opinion. But he appears to be passionate about Star Trek, so fingers crossed!

I don't know, you would think Rick Berman and Brent Spiner would know a thing or two about Star Trek after producing/starring in the series (respectively), yet Nemesis still turned into trash. Not sure how much of that was John Logan's fault, I assume Berman and/or Spiner just added dumb ideas to the dumb idea. Still if Rick Berman can executive produce TNG/DS9 then make trash like Generations and Nemesis, then maybe the Executive Producer alone can't make or break the series. As long as Alex Kurtzman and the rest of Abrams shitty writing crew stay far away from this, it might be okay.

Yay! will it be next generation or original-like?

Brent Spiner is the best.

BREAKING NEWS: Star Trek whatever is now the most pirated show ever after CBS tries to rip off nerds

1 Like

Looks like they have picked up Nicholas Meyer (Director of Wrath of Khan & Undiscovered country) as a consulting producer/writer.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/26/11121684/star-trek-cbs-tv-series-nicholas-meyer)

I like this because in my opinion his two movies are similar in tone to DS9 which is my personal favorite ST series. That said, Gene Roddenberry wasn't a fan of Meyers take on ST as it was less optimistic and more militaristic. Thats ok to me as long as the heart is still there, and I think Meyer understands that.

Pretty exciting news in all honesty if you ask me.

Well... I gotta say, I am starting to feel kinda optimistic now.

Eugene ā€˜Rodā€™ Roddenberry, (Gene Roddenberry's son) is now involved in this show. This might not mean much, but what I know of Rod Roddenberry is that when they were filming TNG he was just a kid and not really even interested in the series as it was "Just his dad's job". You could probably understand where he's coming from. However, after Gene died, and Rod became and adult, Rod looked into his dad's legacy and learned a lot and grew to greatly appreciate what Gene left behind.

So... if nothing else, this news to me says, the studio is trying to make it right... at least I hope that's what it means.

@wendell @PerfectAgent007

I do wish that Paramount would drop the stupid lawsuit over Axanar though. That fan film project looks absolutely stunning and the producers even took Star Trek off of the title despite being non-profit. The film industry will never cease to confuse me.

1 Like

i hope they keep the old "new adventure every week" style of the old shows, with a meandering plot thrown in. Enterprise and stargate universe failed miserably, and I like to think it was because they tried to make it some kind of drama, which didn't go over well at all.

1 Like

New Star Trek series set to start filming in Toronto this September! No other news really, except that this article used the word "reboot" which I'd take with a grain of salt. But it's possible they actually reboot the series... I just hope thy don't.

New teaser trailer. Doesn't show you (to tell you) much, but I'd be lying if I didn't get a little bit excited. The style looks very Nu-Trek... so I'm still pretty worried about what direction they end up going in.

New stuff! My hopes are officially up now. This might just be awesome.

From i09 about unveiling at San Diego comic-con

"There wasnā€™t a lot of details to be had, but showrunner Bryan Fuller knew exactly what to say to make Trek fans excited. ā€œWhat the new series has to do is continue to be progressive, [to] push boundaries and tell stories in the legacy Gene Roddenberry promised, giving us hope for the future,ā€ said Fuller, who also confirmed that the show would be serialized, and will premiere on CBS All Access in January 2017."

Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying ā€œIt is in the prime timeline.ā€ He couldnā€™t say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however.

ā€œI donā€™t think weā€™re supposed to say yet because there areso many new things about this series,ā€ Fuller said. that ā€œThereā€™s a lot of new and exciting things weā€™re doing with this show, that we [donā€™t] want to [over]saturate you.ā€

That's one ugly ship. The saucer section looks okay, but I really don't think the rest fits. CBS should have outsourced ship design to Cryptic Studios. Most of their designs for Star Trek Online are pretty great. I hope the show itself is good.

I can understand the negativity I've seen around the web about the ship design. It's definitely out of the ordinary, but as soon as I saw it I realized what they were doing. It's based off this concept art, which was done for the 1st Star Trek: The Motion Picture movie.

But also, if you look at rear portion of the drive section of the hull, it looks a lot like the rear end of a D7 Klingon crusier.

But also, if you listen to the music in the teaser, there is quite a bit of "Klingon attitude" in the way it sounds, and at the very end you can hear a little bit is a "cloaking" sound... or it could just be a space whooshy sound... I dunno lol. All this tells me that the design of the ship I think will be part of the plot. Some kind of Klingon Federation hybrid ship maybe? We'll just have to see.

They are still being pretty tight lipped about everything, and when Fuller said "Thereā€™s a lot of new and exciting things weā€™re doing with this show..." it makes me think anything is possible. But I am now very optimistic about this show where I once was not.

When i first saw this i thought it was a video for star trek online until the end. If they were trying to get people like me excited with this teaser they should have spent a bit more time on it.

I saw what they were doing, too. I'm just not a big fan of TOS Klingon ship design. The technological possibilities of a Federation/Klingon hybrid ship are great, though, and I am excited for this new series. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

There have been some new developments over the last 6 months. Production has started and we got our 1st look at the new uniforms, captain's chair, and now... Klingons?

I dunno how you guys feel, but this Klingons don't look very Klingony to me. I have a bad feeling about this show.

Guess I should put this here..

2 Likes

Cool! I added it to the OP!

1 Like

Updated 3/29/17
sigh @wendell I has a very big sad.