Update Linux Kernel in Ubuntu (guide or tutorial)

TBH, any time I need to run ubuntu, I always run the latest kernel without any issues.

Actually I pretty much set up my repos to just ignore all of the default ubuntu repos anyways lol.

Why are you using non default repos? Just why?

If you're trying to get newer packages, run a rolling release distribution or Debian Unstable.

For my daily OS I use opensuse tumbleweed.

I only use ubuntu in very certain circumstances on a spare ssd.

The very basic and unsatisfying answer to your question is......"because it allows me to get my work done".

Newer kernels and packages contain fairly important bug fixes that do actually have an impact on my workflow. That is ultimately what it comes down to.

Ya I installed the Grub-customizer and moved the base kernel up the list. No problems there.

Reinstalled, same issue. Soooo that's a no for updating?

What gpu do you have?

I have been noticing some bugs with nouveau with some higher end nvidia cards.

R9 280OC, I shall look to the "google"

Ahhhhhhhh ok.

Wellllll that changes things.

The newer kernels use AMDGPU and your graphics card is not really supported yet.

Try going here http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Scroll alllllll the way to the bottom and click kernel 4.8 rc3 and repeat the steps from above.

I BELIEVE (key word there) that the AMDGPU driver has support of more cards in that kernel.

thanks and i run an encrypted filesystem (dont we all).

I don't

I like to tinker and do stupid shit, so I generally need to run a rescue on my system. Lol.

I have everything on slave drives because i break ma OS allllll the time (used to)

That's a nope didn't see AMDGPU option installed the 4.8 rc3 and got nada

Welllll fuck.

I am running ubuntu gnome with a GTX 970 and I can tell you that the newer kernels all work.

If you go to advanced mode and go to rescue environment, does that work?

If that works, then your gpu is the problem.

Ya when I ran the .debs there was a bunch of "Radeon firmware missing" in the terminal.

Ya I fucked up buying a Radeon GPU for linux. No money for a new one at this time.

I mean you did not fuck up when you bought a radeon card. Its just that the specific card you bought it kind of useless.

If you had bought a 285 or a used 290, you would have been fine. And TBH, this is a temporary thing. AMD has said that they would eventually support older cards soon enough. Sooooooo keep your fingers crossed.

In the mean time I think you might want to have a look at ubuntu 16.10 beta.

It will have a newer kernel (4.6.5 which is pretty fucking new), and it should not default straight to AMDGPU.

Oh don't worry i'm not hurt. I am kind of pissed at AMD. Probably won't buy there product again. There linux support sucks. It has been horrendous from day one. Driver installs are stupid. You get what you paid for...

Went to 16.04, for certain reasons I went back to 14.04.

Thanks @Tjj226_Angel

I would not be too terribly hard on AMD.

Considering this whole AMDGPU thing is literally less than a year old and considering the scope of the project, I understand some of their delays.

Now what SHOULD piss you off is that the reason the AMD 280 is not supported is because it is a rebrand of the AMD 7950.

If it had used newer architecture like it should have had, you would have been golden.

But again, I expect that we should be seeing support for the 280 by october.

With linux i don't expect bleeding edge hardware, no biggy, I'm not a bleeding edge spender. But a card this old should have been supported somewhere along the line. Now it's getting to the point were if there isn't support in october there will probably not be any support.

I can tell you for a fact that there are plans to bring support for the older 7000 series cards. And I am mostly telling you this so that you know what is going on. The information on driver support is kind of hard to find, so I am trying to condense it for you is all.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-SI-Experimental-Code

Kernel 4.8 is supposed to have support for your card. It will be out in time and supposedly used by ubuntu 16.10 when it is released in october.

So its not like its a goose chase. The support really does exist. I just dont know what is taking AMD so long.

I would like them to get their shit together because I still have a AMD 7970 I would like to use for some things. : D

I just hope the kernel works in 14.04 because I really don't want to go to 16.10 or greater yet. I'm still happy 14.04. The software centre is gone and some packages don't run in 16.04, one being KeePassX.

Okay what the F is this?

kungr@gnome:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for kungr:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
linux-headers-4.4.0-31 linux-headers-4.4.0-31-generic
linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-31-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic (4.8.0-040800rc3.201608212032) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
The link /initrd.img is a dangling linkto /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.8.0-040800rc3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.8.0-040800rc3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/hainan_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/oland_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/verde_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/pitcairn_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/tahiti_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/hawaii_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/bonaire_k_smc.bin for module radeon

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic.postinst line 1052.
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency (4.8.0-040800rc3.201608212032) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
The link /initrd.img is a dangling linkto /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/hainan_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/oland_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/verde_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/pitcairn_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/tahiti_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/hawaii_k_smc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/bonaire_k_smc.bin for module radeon

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency.postinst line 1052.
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic
linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-lowlatency
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)