Update Linux Kernel in Ubuntu (guide or tutorial)

I know it is remedial for some people but, in a step by step guide, what is the shortest & simplest way to update the kernel? I'm on 4.4 want to go to 4.7.2.

In Ubuntu the shortest and most easy way is to send a msg to the maintainers of Ubuntu and ask them to upgrade and hope they agree, but if you want the latest stuff you better switch to Fedora or Arch since they both support leading edge tech, but i don't think there is a easy way to just update your kernel.

I don't know if what you said is true. I have patched my kernel before and I think it is unlikely that Canonical will return my calls or emails.

I have flown blindly at tutorials (youtube) and was able to compile, patch (BFS), and modify my kernel (low-latency desktop, etc). But those tuts are out of date and haven't been working. Packages and dependencies to complete these tasks have changed and/or obsolete.

I was hoping someone in the forum was whiz enough to post a Tutorial.

This one and the subsequent tuts have been my guide to date.

If your a linux noob and are interested give me a spirited:

3 Likes

Problem i always end up is when i keep updating with the repos (mayor distro's) that somewhere down the line the system gets broken. If you really like modifying you kernel. Then you should try Arch or Gentoo. Since they are fitted for the user to mesh around with.

Do you have any 4.7 kernel needs? If not, it's best to wait for the maintainers to release it.

I have been thinking of skipping arch and going straight to gentoo but that is well over my competency level. And I really don't have the time to push through that. So that keeps me at Ubuntu-gnome.

How will the maintainers release it? They haven't updated the kernel for 14.04.1-5.

Ubuntu is indeed one of the slower once with adapting new stuff, but if you want something more leading edge then Fedora might be your best call. They are now on 4.6.7 but they will probably move to 4.7 soon.

1 Like

@kungr Come to Fedora !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING THE OPENSOURCE VIDEO DRIVERS BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS WILL BREAK PROPRIETARY DRIVERS!! You can reinstall proprietary drivers if they are compatible with the kernel after you are done.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.2/

Go here.

Under x86/64 click the top file and then the two other files with the word generic in their file name. So you should hit the first, second, and fourth link.

Now open a terminal, and CD to where those files are.

Once you are in the correct directory, type this command.

sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb

sudo update-grub

Reboot......win

OK sell me. top 5 reason why fedora is better than ubuntu. no filler. and if it doesn't run kodi & keepassX forget it.

PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Chill ! lol I was more so being pokey. Im a Fedora user yes, but you can achieve the same or similar experience with what you have and some tweaks. Fedora is more so a tinkerers/intermediate users distro. It does update much quicker than Ubuntu based on packages and kernels, I personally love that about it, but in Linux all things are achievable either through building or compiling. Enjoy what you want and build what you want [ lets not forget Snappy or Flat packages ]. It's the beauty of Linux !

What if I like the low-latency desktop? That S-H-*-T is crisp.

Same thing, you just download the first 3rd and 5th link.

Everything else still applies.

Any downside of doing them all?

I have no idea.

One of two things will happen.

It will either install both kernels and everything will work.

Or the universe will implode.

The universe imploded. none of the new kernels run. just hangs on the ram disk thingy.

should have just waited for a release. :P

Yeah, I ran ubuntu 16.04 on a spare SSD of mine, and using either of the two kernels worked just fine. But I installed them independently.

So what my command above does is it installs ANY AND ALL .deb files that have a file name that starts with "linux-"

I am probably wrong about this, but I have a feeling that both the low latency kernel and the generic kernel might be trying to use the same header file at the same time?

That is a complete guess on my end.

If you go to advanced boot options, you can probably get back to the old kernel just fine.

From there I would try to go to a terminal and try this command for shits and giggles.

sudo mkintrd

sudo update-grub

OR you could also try to uninstall those kernels. Update grub again. Reboot. And then simply remove the generic or the low latency files and then install it again and hope for the best.