[UPDATE: IT GETS WORSE] Nothing downloads this video, youtube-dl, yt-dlp, nothing

Newpipe also fails to get the video when pulling from the same ISP.

the Invidious instance I used also fails in the last 10MB when getting the H264 version of the video, and CONSISTENTLY fails with 10MB to go.

1 Like

Very interesting.

So with out putting it back on you. It is confirmed working under various conditions, but we just don’t know what’s different other than major things like Country and ISP

1 Like

Is it just this video they won’t download? Do others download fine?

Yeah, just this video of recent hasn’t played nice in terms of download.

Newpipe is working on my LTE connection apparently. It’s not even the latest version, it’s a dated version.

2 Likes

Did the full download to be sure. It worked 100%

1 Like

Okay, something is definitely up with the ISP because they were sabotaging DNS connections to Cloudflare if Cloudflare was used as the supplied router’s DNS. They DNS redirect ALL websites to a “you need to pay us to use the internet” redirect if you haven’t paid.

2 Likes

regular youtube-dl. must be an isp thing.

1 Like

Ouch… that’s a whole chunk of the internet right there…

oh, that sounds much less trouble… Just a DNS thing? Change your local setting in your computer/phone/tablet/whatever, to specify your own…

Yeah, but I now know they do DNS hijacking when people don’t pay. Landlord didn’t like that and she now thinks I’m a criminal.

3 Likes

inb4 illicit beet root farm.

1 Like

I have no idea about when people don’t pay, sorry…

It would make sense to me just to captive-portal non-customers / people errant in the bill, to only serve up the ISP’s website, and make anyone pay to access the actual internet.

DNS would just be a separate thing.

Gotta make the bread somehow, to keep supplied with the little blue electrons of joy…

1 Like

Yeah, but I had major DNS disconnects when Cloudflare indicated everything was fine and we were paying. There’s definitely something up with how they may be doing DPI and inspecting packets through their fiber network.

1 Like

do you use a vpn? would that not help to stop packet reading?

1 Like

Cancelled my ExpressVPN after the UAE thing came out. Was using ExpressVPN for the longest time when I had CCP supported CIK Telecom.

Maybe check out (at least) a free VPN? they will spy on, and sell your traffic, but at least you get the traffic upon which they can spy?

I’m getting Starlink and ProtonVPN in my future plans. I don’t trust any big name ISP in Canada and ProtonVPN is the only good choice left after the revelation about the UAE.

2 Likes

I like protonvpn. it is decent. I also am stuck on big isp, with little issues. I am paying for gigabit and getting at best 948mbps at worst 800ish. But my upload sucks. If you like starlink, please review it. Starlink is available for me, and I am in the middle of nowheresville usa.

1 Like

But then again, the video played in the browser. Shut up Ish…

I gave them a go.

They were okay, so I upgraded to their supplier, Mullvad.

I had rolled my own, with a Linode :tm: instance, but the throughput was… choppy for video sometimes. and the IP address blocked by a few online shops / CDN’s

Yeah, that’s what’s super weird. With the specific ISP videos play in the browser but can’t be gotten over yt-dlp or similar. Tried DoH in Firefox 78 and non DoH and IN BROWSER it’s fine. Switched to my LTE and there were no problems anymore.