UPDATE: GeForce Ampere cards (GA10x) rumored to support SR-IOV, will NOT, according to Ryan Smith from Anandtech

I think if Nvidia might force their hands on this, not saying it will work well just that they might allow it.

3 Likes

No, RDNA2 is not the 5700x.

Yeah so RDNA2 could easily have this too now if AMD sees the neckbeards jumping ship hard cuz SRIOV

1 Like

Yeah, but AMD doesn’t seem to be really paying attention to what GPU buyers want.

Otherwise they’d provide a sane driver setup.

2 Likes

I have hope since a lot of dev work had to be done for next gen consoles, but time will tell. I have gone back and forth on vendor and honestly Nvidia has been the better overall exp. Last good amd gpu was 7950

Don’t forget actual heatsinks.

That’s all most people were hoping for. If this turns out to be true, and I’ll be able to use a 3060 with a VM, they’re going to get some of my money once they become available here. Maybe even push my normal tight-arsedness and get a 3070.

I have little hope to be honest

Little hope is better than no hope :stuck_out_tongue:

If they don’t do it, I’m not that worried - leaves me more options that could save cash.

No SR-IOV :sob:

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1304577222351577088

2 Likes

Lol can’t wait for this release of cards to be all hype

1 Like

Bummer. Slim chance but if any good comes of this maybe AMD will take notice.

1 Like

r/AMD was already on it. But RTG has bigger issues to tackle first.

Fingers crossed this happens for either 30XX series, or Big Navi, or even intel xe for that matter this generation.

Would really love to provide a small amount of GPU for each of the various desktop VM’s just to make it smoother (not gaming).

it was confirmed they will not support SR-IOV

Could the title be corrected?

yeah, gimmie a sec
hmm that doesn’t feel right either

1 Like

IMO this is silly. Its not like people are trying to run 50 remote sessions for CATIA engineers. They are just geeky gamers that want to run Windows gaming virtual machines. If they are scared of people using it for enterprise then limit the number of sessions to 2 for consumer cards.

2 Likes

this or simply have a user agreement stating you can’t use it in business on consumer cards

having a LAN party in a box would be great press for Nvidia, instead they got a rumor for having a feature then explaining that it can in fact do it, we just won’t let you

1 Like

Imagine the setups like that at QuakeCon or PDXLan or Dreamhack where there is one monster PC and 4 people playing games on it. In separate VMs and 2 3090s.

1 Like