[Update] Anything *I* can do about helping the PUBG memory leak?

As some of you know, PUBG has a brutal memory leak. That’s on the devs ( who cant fix it even after a half million dollar tournament :angry:) but is there anything I can do on my end?

Low graphics settings could at least make the game use less RAM by itself. Best results might require restarting the game if changing from high to low settings.

I can’t say that I have noticed that specifically, but then I use low settings already and have plenty of RAM. I’ll keep an eye out for it the next time it gets choppy for no apparent reason, as it does.

I don’t see any hopes for any substantial technical improvements with this game in the near future. It remains a low budget project in spite of the income and it’s scheduled to appear on Xbox soon, which could be taken as a hint of the priorities.

Yeah i’m at medium settings and have 24 GB (8x2 + 4x2)
I just watch the ram usage in afterburner get higher and higher, then I gets choppy at 22+ gb, which takes several hours to get to, even if it’s not a continuous session

Do I understand correctly that the RAM keeps accumulating even after closing PUBG? All of a processes resources are freed once it terminates so this cannot be PUBG’s fault then. Are you running any third party software that hooks into PUBG and keeps running in the background? (steam; one of those stupid keyboards that extracts information from games, something like this)

Verify that the RAM is actually taken up by PUBG.

1 Like

It goes up and up when PUBG is active. It will stop when I close it, stay where it is, then start climbing again when I play it until it’s full

My point stands then. PUBGs resources are freed by Windows (i.e. nothing the devs could do wrong here) as soon as you close it. So the fact that your RAM usage stays constant indicates that the problem lies with some other program that remains running.

Task manager shows per-process utilization. Please check that

• the PUBG process is actually gone when you close it
  • the RAM is assigned to PUBG

On a side note, I like to have twitch running in the background while coding and there’s streamers that will play for 12 hours straight without their RAM running out.

actual ram usage from PUBG is about 1.5-2 GB. and while it’s open, that’s the most demanding process. It doesn’t stay open and nothing takes the RAM, it’s just filling up while PUBG is active. Ive validated this with multiple people ive played with

Can you document this with screenshots and task manager etc?
This is not a guaranteed PUBG issue. But very likely specific to your configuration.

This is a widely reported issue. I have never dealt with a memory leak. I Am not going to run pubg for 8 hours to take a screenshot of Memory pegged at 98% while it shows that only 4 GB are actually being used

How do you expect to get help without data? All the information you are giving us makes it sound like PUBG is not even the issue.

This only reaffirms that notion.

How could PUBG possibly use RAM without it showing up? What you are describing is either an issue with Windows - unlikely - or some other program. A screenshot of the task manager would bring clarity.

As I said, I can not get that without running the game for several hours. PUBG is the only variable here and ive got no third party software to go through it

there are couple types of memory leaks, and pubg still could have caused it.

1. actual usage Memory
  2. Committed Memory
  3. Cached

Those 2(point 2, and 3) are main reasons on why applications may have a leak. Lets say it fails to release committed memory, or its cached objects. It can easily cause it. In task manager edit columns and add commit size. It will help you. Application may fail to release it.

in terms of actually solving the problem, you cannot do anything. Its on developers to fix.

best and fastest way to get it resolved, is monitoring when the commit size is rising; and not released. If possible stream or record it; then send it to devs - so that they can replicate it / fix the issue.

3 Likes

how do I get to that screen on win 10?

right click on column name, in task manager. (click select columns)

No need to do so right now. Just take a screenshot next time you have issues.

Thanks
So it starts taking several Gigs, that would be the issue?

No, the issue will be when it continues to grow, as you play the game (usually it should reach its mean point and stay there, but if its just keep on gaining then well you found a leak).

That’s what I meant, Thanks

I have screenshots.

Here’s memory usage after playing PUBG for a few hours then closing it

Here’s memory commit size, as per @anon5205053

i think you lost the idea completely. You have to check commit size while your application is running, also in performance tab you can see how much memory is cached, and committed.

1 Like