Update and Questions

Hey everyone, I am posting an update.  The last time I posted I was asking for advice on my gaming build and I already bought the AMD 8350 with the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard. This was about 3 weeks or 4 weeks ago.  

So here is what I have currently:

AMD 8350, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC, (being delivered tomorrow)

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 G 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 650W Active PFC ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Full Modular PSU 10 Year Warranty 120-PG-0650-GR NEW 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready Power Supply, (being delivered tomorrow)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler. (being delivered soon)

Parts that I am reusing:

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Current Hard Drive 700GB with over 450GB of free space that has Windows 7 64-bit OS

AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (I am planning on getting the GTX 780 Next month or the month after)

So, my question is am I going to run into problems with anything using the same hard drive?  Is there anything that I have to do to make everything go smoothly? I heard that if I change the CPU and Motherboard with old hardware then I could run into some problems with the BIOS.  Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you, Jake

You're going to run into issues with the hard drive, since you're switching motherboards. I've run into the same problem a few times, and I'm not sure if there's a work around or not.  I didn't have anything on the boot drive I was worried about losing, so I just formatted it.

Should I consider getting another Hard Drive then? Possibly upgrading to Windows 8.1?

Is there anyway that I can go around reformatting the hard drive?  I have a lot of family photos on the hard drive and I do not want to lose them plus I do not have any disks for the OS.

You might be able to get away without re-formatting but just installing windows overtop of what is already there (I have avoided windows for years, but this used to work). the main problem is going to be the "reinstalling windows" bit, since I'm guessing you only have one install CD with one key. Because, to my knowledge, windows dials out to a server to make sure you haven't installed it twice on different computers, it will think that is just what you have done since you have a new Motherboard. 

This is why I tend to partition my drives up, one partition for data and the other for software and the OS. That way I can trash the software and the OS without losing any data. You might be able to do this if you have enough free space on the drive (greater than 50% free)

Would the best way to go is to get an external hard drive and to import all of the photos and documents that I need on to it?  Is a USB 3.0 Compatible to hook up to 2.0 as my current computer only has 2.0.  I am not to familiar with USB.

If I use an external hard drive I would need to buy Windows again.  I would stick with Windows 7 64-bit as I looked at Windows 8.1 and I do not think that I am ready for that change.  

So I would re-format the hard drive then I should be good?  Should I wait to get an SSD before doing all of this as I see a 120GB  for $100.