Unusual/Awkward multi-display setup with TV on Windows 10

Ok, so long story short my father is now working from home thanks to the T-Virus. He’s got his laptop from work along with a dock that has all of the connection types you can imagine. The goal is to set up three displays and it was done successfully but i’m just curious about proper scaling on a TV. We’re making do with what we have. My old 16:10 1050p monitor. An older 40" 1080p TV and the laptop screen. Basically, everything is working. But there’s just one thing i’m curious about. We came to a solution but i’m curious if it’s the best one?

So the TV works great, it acts as the second of third display but i’m just wondering why at full 1080p resolution set on the display through Windows, it cuts off some of the UI (window) of certain apps. For example, some programs might not show the entire extent of the window and you can’t see the Close, Minimize, Maximize buttons on the corner of a window. I desperately changed resolutions and found that a resolution of 1600 x 1200 perfectly displays everything. With this resolution, text could be a BIT more legible but it’s overall not bad. But everything fits perfectly. I’m curious about a couple of things. WHY this resolution?! I never would’ve guessed. Why the hell does a 4:3 resolution scale everything perfect on this 16:9 TV? It makes no sense. When I change it to 1080p text looks better, but you can’t see the entire window. Just the edge where the close buttons are.

Is this a luck of the draw type of thing and I nailed it with the resolution? There are just so many questions I have because it really makes no sense to me. Why is this 1600 x 1200 resolution working so well on this setup? There something I can do to run the TV at its full resolution?

I’m guessing it’s a setting on your TV called Stretch to Fit or some such https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-aspect-ratio-4-3-16-9-21-9

Depending on the tv …and how they label things… point to point or direct.

Just keep in mind that the scalers are not all equal and that your device is more than likely scaling some aspects and then your tv is scaling in its own way. Things like font scaling ect…

I didn’t use any settings of any kind. I just simply linked the thing up together with the laptop and my old monitor and they work together. No stretch to fit, nothing. I simply saw that it was cutting off part of windows and changed the resolution to 1600 x 1200. For some reason that agrees with those apps and you can see the entire window. But I guess at the cost of some clarity? Now the question is, why can’t I use the TV’s full resolution? And why is it cutting off windows like that at 1920 x 1080?

Its just what (older) TVs do.

Overscan is common. Google around and see if you can find the instructions anywhere for how to get 1:1 pixelmapping on your exact model.

If not, its usually possible to adjust the visible area in the display driver’s control panel.

Here’s some more background on the issue: https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/

1:1 pixel mapping is essential for sharp text if you use a TV as a monitor. But even with that, 1080p at 40" won’t be great.

1 Like

Same exact scenario for me, this will probably fix your problem. If your TV model doesn’t provide an option to turn off overscan you can configure your GPU desktop area smaller to fit precisly on screen.

I had to setup the wife on the 70” LG 4K screen in the living room, got the adapter and no matter how it was configured it was cutoff in every direction (making it hard to click the right icons in the taskbar). Reconfiguring the Nvidia graphics screen size, took a few extra clicks but straightened it right up.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.