Unraid Unassigned Drives Download folder

Hi!
In UnRAID I am trying to use an unassigned device as a download folder. I cannot use my pool because the random IO puts a lot of stress on the pool and CPU and is INCREDIBLY slow to do (22 MB/s).

When I use the drive to download files. It works initially then it slows down and stops. I don’t understand why. Any information on this would be a help thanks.

What is it you’re trying to achieve and what are you doing to get there?

I am trying to set up a folder on a seperate drive that the torrents will download to. Then moving the files over to the array which will de-fragment them.
I have set up an auto-mounted drive that has the appropriate folders.
The folders have been passed through to qBittorrent. That’s about it.

It sounds like qbittorrent is not storing the files in the correct directory and filling some other directory via a temp file.

How are you running qbittorrent?

You can also add the drive to the array and exclude it from the shares. Then add a share for that specific drive FYI. You don’t have to leave it unassigned.

It’s running in docker. I tried putting in the full drive paths in case that might help

It’s probably not working and filling up the container.

I would but the drive is pretty small and I think the limiting factor is that the array has parity. You’re probably right about that I noticed some high RAM usage before the system locked up when 1 of the downloads did work

That doesn’t affect the speed of the drive or the other drives

How would I make sure it is writing to the right dir

I’m not sure. I don’t use docker.

You could ls the directory to see what’s there and verify its writing anything.

I hasn’t written anything it seems

That’s what I figured. I don’t know enough about docker and the unraid UI to know how to fix that. I am not able to mess with mine right now to help.

Give me some time and I’ll take a look when I can.

That’s alright. Thanks for the help so far

how do you have the container configured?

Pretty standard, I have it set up with two host paths one to the array one to the unassigned drive

I wonder if it cant access the unassigned drive because of permissions

maybe give it privileged mode?

1 Like

This isnt really a solution for your current issues but I run my downloader inside a VM and mount the network share on the guest. This is a little more bloated but I understand how it works and can manipulate it easier.

I’m sure theres logs somewhere that would tell you something about the container but I wouldnt know where to begin there.

For a moment I thought it was working then I did a force recheck and it completed 6GB in about 5 seconds so It’s definitely still going to the RAM :frowning:

Solved: I reset the config of the container, then set the completed path as /mnt/disks/diskNameHere