Unpopulated USB ports don't work after using BT dongle

So, I ran into a weird issue with the 8bitdo BT adapter. Or at least I suspect it’s caused by it cause it only started happening after I used it.
The issue is that - and I haven’t figured out what and when exactly the issue is triggered - my PC no longer detects any new USB devices I plug in (both front and back I/O). The ones that are already connected (mouse, keyboard, DAC, even the BT adapter) still work but when I plug a USB flash drive in nothing happens. No sound from Windows, not popping up in the Windows Explorer.
I have to “restart” the PC so it works again. I say “restart” cause whether I press restarts or shut down it doesn’t complete the task. The PC either stays in “Shuttind down” or the monitors go dark and the PC does something but doesn’t shut down. Have to push the reset button and then it restarts. But after that the ports work fine again.

Online search for that or similar issues was unsuccessful. Is this a Windows 10 problem or is something wrong with the BT dongle?

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro (1809)
Ryzen 1700 (no OC)
16GB Ram (GSkill Trident Z @ 2933Mhz, stock timings)
Asus X470 Crosshair VII Wifi (BIOS: 2304)
MSI RX 480 8GB (Radeon v. 19.9.2)
BT dongle: 8bitdo USB wireless adapter

Power Option is set to AMD Ryzen Balanced and “Turn off hard disk after 15min” and “USB selective suspend setting” was disabled.

Additional info: the BT dongle gets recognized AS the controller in Steam (and according to the FAQ on other devices like the Nintendo Switch too). I can turn off the controller (be it the 8bitdo SF30 Pro or the XBO controller and Steam will still say “Detected controller”.
This is supposed to be intended by the manufacturer. No idea if this is important.