Unexpected I/O Error

Hi all,

After a sanity check on this one.

PC was working just fine*, updated a sound driver, rebooted and the PC never booted again.
Kept getting the Unexpected I/O Error blue screen.

I think my SSD has died as I’ve tried to reinstall windows and when it reboots I just get a blue screen with no error at all, just a plain blue screen.

I pulled out the other drives just to check and no difference.

SSD was an M.2 (SATA) WD SN500 Blue on an Aorus B450 ITX board.

*I did have my PC occasionally crash on me when booting into Windows which I always put down to bad software somewhere (I never got round to tracking it down) but perhaps this was the signs of the SSD failing?

Not the end of the world as I’ve got backups of everything just wondering.

New SSD is on order at least.

Odd … mine was working fine Sunday. Booted yesterday evening and got a stopcode for “attempted to allocate to read-only memory”. According to google that’s usually an drive error of some sort(hardware, driver, etc). I have a WD Black M.2 on an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max with random startup blue screens for a few months. I shut it down, tried again and right to Windows and no problems experienced all night.

Hmm,
So I put a new SSD in and that didn’t initially solve the issue.

However I went into the BIOS (already reset at this point) and noticed that fTPM was turned on.
Having turned that off I now seem to be getting somewhere with the install.
IE, this time after the first reboot I’m not just getting a blank screen but the Win10 setup is continuing as it should be.

Any ideas?
I’m not that familier with TPM, did this lock the system to my old SSD hence why it would lock up?

Either way I seem to be getting somewhere now.

I never did figure this out.
I’ve since tried using the SSD in an enclosure and it works fine.

Some further searching seemed to point to things like Gigabyte RGB fusion causing issues with TPM so I’m not using that now (just set in the BIOS).
Otherwise I’m not really sure what caused it.
Either way I’m back up and running. Horary for backups.

2 Likes

Got to the bottom of this in the end.
My 1 year old Samsung 870 EVO failed. Lots of SMART test failures.

Unfortunately due to a slight bit of damage on the SATA connector (plastic part broke off) I can’t RMA it but PC is working just fine now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.