Unable to Use Headphones on Ubuntu

Hello everyone, I am new to Linux and I have been unable to use my headphones since I started using it. I am running Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 on a Sager NP8651 (which is a Cleve P650SE) which uses the Realtek ALC892 for audio. It seems to me that my headphones are not detected when inserted into the jack. Audio comes out of the laptop's speakers just fine, but audio does not switch over to my headphones when plugged in. I have scoured the internet for a solution, but I have not found one that works. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Fire up pavucontrol and select the proper output device from the drop-down menu

Had no problems with realtek audio on my last two boards, so it should be a settings related thing.

1 Like

yup, open your sound settings

When I open up the standard sound settings only my speakers and S/PDIF outputs are available. In pavucontrol lineout is available but is listed as unplugged.

Hmm, try running

$ alsactl init

and see if it resolves the issue, if alsactl isnt found, install alsa-utils & try again

alsactl init returned this:
Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Intel Haswell HDMI" "HDA:80862807,15586555,00100000" "0x1558" "0x6555"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method