Unable to output 4k @ 60Hz over DisplayPort - GeForce 1070 [Solved]

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue I’ve been having with my monitor and GPU.

Yesterday I received my Gigabyte Aorus 1070 Gaming Box and have it hooked up to my 2016 MacBook Pro over TB3. The box itself works perfectly and have no issues there.

I installed the latest nVidia GeForce drivers and have my monitor hooked up via Display Port. Just to add, the mac is closed and only the 1070 and external monitor are in use so the path is as below:

MacBook Pro > Aorus 1070 via TB3 > NEC PA322UHD via DisplayPort Cable

I’ve been using this monitor for years now and as it was an early 4k monitor only DisplayPort 1.2 is present and HDMI is only 1.4 so I am limited to the two DPs not the 4 HDMIs to run 4k @ 60Hz.

With the monitor running DP 1.2 I only get 1920x1080 @ 60Hz as the highest resolution. However, oddly enough with the monitor set to DP 1.1a I get 3840x2160 @ 30Hz as a max which is the limit of that connection.

I’ve tried both DP connections and different cables to no avail. Am I missing a setting somewhere in nVidia control panel to enable DP 1.2 on the graphics card?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice!!!

That’s a fancy monitor.

Have you updated the MONITORS firmware?

That monitor supposedly has a HDMI 2.0 port

NEC PA322UHD-2-SV Specifications;

DisplayPort 1.2, OPS slot switchable DisplayPort 1.2 / HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, DVI-D Dual Link x2 / HDMI 1.4 x4

Might be on the right track there, maybe the Monitor EDID didn’t know 3840x2160 at 60hz existed at the time it was manufactured. Worst case scenario is the receiver chip is actually the lower down DP1.1a and not DP1.2. You may want to find a teardown of that monitor and look up the datasheet of the Displayport receiver chip.

You could also look up how to use Displayport “MST” to get to that resolution. Older monitors tiled MST screens to support 3840x2160 at 60hz: https://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Hi guys, just to add…

I actually read the manual. It seems that disabling ‘DP EDID Sound Select’ may show full resolutions if there is issues. Turned out it was already off. I switched it on and now have 2560x1440 at 60Hz and 3840x2160 at 30Hz on DP 1.2, still no 60Hz at native though…

I searched the manual for MST and couldn’t find anything, googling suggested disabling/enabling to try and force the GPU to properly detect.

Will see if I can find a firmware update, as it has never been touched to be honest.

1 Like

I don’t know why it would matter, but the revision data for the firmware has support for ~>OSX 10.# added

Manual page 22 tag 3;

DIGITAL LONG
CABLE*1
(DP input only)

A higher number produces a better result, but may reduce display colors, refresh rate and
resolution.

Not sure if you do this through the OSD, or the input card toggle switch dingus in the back.

1 Like

Okay, I plugged in an HDMI cable from my Sky+ HD box previously connected to HDMI1 on the monitor and get 4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160 (native) at 30Hz.

I’m not positive that cable is HDMI 2 compliant however. I’m wondering if the HDMI 2.0 is using an HDMI 2.0 to DP cable - if that exists?!

EDIT: Tried the firmware upgrade tools but none show my monitor and don’t detect it. NEC tech support is closed until Monday so may need to wait on this. Think it is definitely a monitor issue now although works perfect under OS X 10.13.

The manual states the lower the number of the port, the “more capable” it is. So only the first port has full functionality.

Have you verified all the dip switches on the back of the monitor input card make sense?

Yes!!!

The option is in the Advanced Menu, it was currently on Digital Long Cable ‘1’.

Switched to ‘3’ and it totally lowered the res. ‘2’ gave me what I already had. ‘1’ restored 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

To say I’m delighted is an understatement, I’ve been messing with this for hours whilst re-installing all my software. Thank you guys so much!!!

Cool.

Jealous about the monitor.

It’s not the slickest monitor by any stretch but for colour work it is unbeatable and also silent - some of them have little fans which get loud over time, I just blast compressed air through the vents every month or so.

It’s also not far off the weight of a 21" CRT either but I love the thing.