Unable to Install El Capitan and Sierra on Macbook Air

Hey so I just downloaded both El Capitan and Sierra, but I can NOT get these two to install. I can get High Sierra and Yosemite, but these two will NOT work.

For El Capitan, I keep getting the message about no packages being eligible for install, and for Sierra, I keep getting the message that the installer is damaged and can not be used to install macOS.

These are both fresh downloads. This is the fourth or fifth time now for Sierra, and the second or third for El Capitan.

Can anyone help me out PLEASE?

@FaunCB maybe?

Folks will have a lot more to go on if you will include info on your particular Mac. This is particular to iMac but it illustrates the model number I’m talking about. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201634
Even the consumer-friendly name like ‘Macbook Air Late 2016’ or whatever would help.

Apple has received a good amount of criticism lately over how quickly they are abandoning support for older hardware so the first thing that jumps to my mind is your Mac is no longer supported for newer OS versions. The model number should clear that up quickly either way.

Figured out El Capitan. I had to set the date to 2017. After it was installed, the OS automatically set the time correctly. I think this is something to do with a security certificate or something. Which is weird because this was the latest download from Apple. Apple needs to fix their shit.

Turned off WiFi then

In Terminal I did:

sudo -s

date

date 0115124517

“date” checks what the current date is
“date 0115124517” sets the date to the time specified

This works in both the USB installer media and in/at the OS. If you do it in the OS and then boot to the USB installer, you may not need to set the date manually. Just enter “date” to check to be sure.

Or if you don’t want to use Terminal and you have the OS installed, you can just change the year to 2017 in the GUI under Date & Time Preferences. That’s what I did.

Of all of the times I have ever had to do OS installs, I have NEVER had to do this before.

Looks like this works for Sierra as well.

I believe this common issue happens on all Macs that haven’t been plugged in for a while due to Macs having no cmos battery.