Ultrawide Monitor Recommendations

Hey All,

I’m trying to sort through the insane number of monitors out there and I need some help looking for an Ultrawide monitor with the rough following specs. I need something that is going to have great colour coverage for during the day for my job (web design/development), but also perform well for gaming in the evening. Gonna drive it with a L1 KVM once they are in stock!

• 34"
  • Curved
  • DisplayPort 1.4 ideally so that I can push 1440p at more than 60hz
  • Good colour coverage, ideally better than just RGB
  • HDR would be nice, but not a must have

I’m not super picky on brand, just want something that is going to last solidly for ideally 5 years. I’m currently using 8 year old Dell Ultrasharp that are still going strong with no visible screen wear on them.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Either the BenQ one or LG. The one’s Linus has reviewed recently.

1 Like

I’m a real fan of my current one, it’s just awesome :slight_smile:

I should note though, that it already has successors you might want to have a look at. The newest one has 240Hz and 2048 HDR lightning zones instead of the 10 this display has.

2 Likes

Yeah, that one if I had the space would definitely be on my list, sadly, I can’t do a 49" monitor in my space, max is 34".

1 Like
2 Likes

Hehe ok fair enough, it is on the larger end and exceeded the 34" you mentioned at the start of the thread. I just assumed you haven’t thought large enough and didn’t consider it a spacial constraint.

1 Like

Sadly in my case it very much is a spacial constraint, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and 2 kids and my desk/office space is in the main living room, and going much beyond 34" takes up too much of my desk space needed for other things work and home related! I definitely do appreciate the link though, if our situation changes before I buy a new monitor I will definitely be considering it!

1 Like

Choosing a monitor is very personal.
But i think the main thing to figure out for yourself what kind of panel type would fit your needs best IPS or VA in this case.

For this basically IPS is where it’s mostly at.
Good IPS panels are generally very good at color accuracy and viewing angle´s.
However one of the weak points about ips panels in general are the black colors.
So “If” deep blacks are really important to you then a VA panel from Samsung,
is generally a better choice.

So this is something you have to ask yourself first.
And then you have to look at the additional features you wish.

Hardware unboxed YT channel does allot of great reviews on monitors.
So that is definitelly something i could recommend to check out.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies! This info/points/recommendations was exactly what I was hoping for!

I recommend checking out the different radius values in person to see if this really fits your needs and will be comfortable to work with.
Gaming immersion is one part, but handling spreadsheets, browser and other stuff you might want to do differ in quality depending on how aggressively curved the display is.

Some hardware I just want to test and see physically before buying. Curved monitors are the newest addition to my small list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that thought has definitely crossed my mind, a bit more difficult right now as I’m trying to not go into any shops at all, but I probably should make sure that any candidate monitor (or similar radius one) is gonna work for me workflow wise!

Thank you everyone for your help in answering questions! Finally got a hold of an LG 34GN850-B. I can see why they do some so highly recommended. Gorgeous screen. The only thing I’ve had to adjust is the brightness right out of the box, at 100% its very very bright lol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.