[UK] Help me build a super sketchy <£200 rig

Just live without a case and get an APU
-
-

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/tMp3K8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/tMp3K8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A8-7670K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£72.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DS2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£42.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£41.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£45.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £203.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 22:39 GMT+0000

-
-

A8
7650K | CS:GO/Dota 2/SC2 benchmarks Tested With 1866Mhz
RAM

A8
7650K | Various AAA titles Tested with 2133Mhz
RAM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9217/the-amd-a8-7650k-apu-review-also-new-testing-methodology/7

1 Like

The APU will perform like an older CPU with a gt 740 but the upgrade room is there avoiding the more outdated cpu sockets and such so better

Or buy some crap like this and fill it up with old stuff and a low profile graphics card...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Compaq-DC7800-Intel-Dual-Core-1-8GHz-1GB-RAM-SFF-PC-NO-OS-Barebone-/401058237135?hash=item5d60ef0acf:g:6noAAOSw-zxWn5u2
Mine has a gt730 Q6600 8gb and a 1tb, very little used media PC though, not for gaming, PSU is limiting, Car boot sale, pittance spent.

I think I can probably make one of these Sandy deals work.
I've got a powermac G5 that i can try and sell to get some cash for this rig, i think £200 just isnt going to cut it.

I'll get back to you guys if i decide to go with one of the 1155 chips

Yeah, it's the solution that is gonna give your friend the best bang for his pound.
If you'd be limited to buying new, then that APU would be a nice solution.

But for example, the i5-2400 + HD 7770 combination will just fly past it.
The GPU itself is roughly twice as fast and the CPU performance, well, you probably know.
Sure you could OC the iGPU on that A8 but the same applies to the dGPU so...it doesn't really change anything since the 7770 just has so much more shaders..

If you could find say a HD 7850 used, that would be even better and would give your friend some headroom in games if he wishes to play more modern games. Almost all (except one XFX card) of these are still single 6pin cards so that 430W XFX would do nicely.
Quick look on Ebay yields a few 7850 auctions going on right now that are based in UK.

There is a few as well with buy it now prices 70£ or above, but that's ridiculous! It wasn't long, around a week ago, that I skimmed through the used GPU market here in Finland (FI = expensive), I saw 7850's going for anywhere between 40-60€ or about 31-47£.

Im sure you already know this but used parts is going to be the name of the game. Ask around on Tek Syndicate first if you can before moving to ebay. I can't really tell you what parts to use for your budget since it's going to be affected by what you can find for yourself. However consider the following
When you're looking for a motherboard see if you can find one that still has the processor on it. Sockets that may provide good solutions would be a used-

FM2+ mobo
AM2+
Socket 775

You should be able to find some deals on these parts if you look around. I mentioned the FM2+ board first because if you can find one with a cheap processor on it that can be upgraded later to an 860k which isn't bad. Although if you can find a deal on a couple generation old Intel solution that's fantastic as well. As for AM2+ there should be plenty of solutions out there for boards of that socket. I personally still have a phenom 2 sitting on my desk at home.

Really important though do not get a shitty powersupply or It's going to cost you more money later. Do not get a Rosewill power supply either. I had a Rosewill powersupply for a while and it killed the motherboard in my computer. If you can find someone with a used corsair powersupply or similar on Tek Syndicate that will be your safest bet.

I'm not going to waste your time by going over getting a used GPU. It's the same as with the cpu. If you're having trouble try looking up Scrap Yard Wars on youtube. Linustechtips did a fairly good job with this series and it might give you a little help. Even If it's just what not to do.

I typed this up real fast so sorry for typos. Hope this helped some

EDIT I believe I mispoke. I think the phenom II series is on the AM3 socket

I've just built this system as I had a decent Asus 775 motherboard + Q6600 CPU at home. I just bought the Gigabyte Windforce HD7870 on Ebay to complete it. I was after a GTX 660 Ti but they were going for to much so bought this but turns out it OCs to 1200 Mhz (standard they were 1GHz) so it's actually not that far off.

Winows 10 Pro installed and activated

Q6600 quad core @ 3.0GHz
Twin fan tower heat pipe cooler
Asus P5K-E Wifi AP motherboard
4GB Ballistix 1066MHz RAM
Gigabyte Windforce HD7870 1100MHz 2GB
Enermax 720W modular PSU
Antex P180 midi-Tower case (has filters etc. + lots of drive bays!)
750GB boot + 2GB data drive
Lightscribe DVD-RW

£175.00 + postage

Crap pic below but PM me if you want more details. It's just the base unit I wanted to sell.

I'm in the UK of course and opinions are welcome but I reckon those are some pretty decent parts all together. It runs really cool on both the CPU and GPU as a result.

2 Likes

Q6600 and a 7870 for £175! What a steal, good job man.

:) well buy it then because if you want my i5 3570K + GTX 670 + 16GB full tower you're going to have to pay double that plus postage!

1 Like