(UK) Door Bell - Is there one without a camera that is wifi connected to network and has a chime box and/or app function?

Hey all,

Hope we’re all well today!

Just wondering if anyone had seen a door bell that:

Has no camera
Can connect to 2.4Ghz wifi and doesn’t have its own wireless link
Has a chime box that’s just plugged into mains socket and also connects to 2.4GHz wifi
May be has phone app, or can have second chime box.

Seems a bit tricky so far, I’ve looked for a while with no joy. I’m not interested in having a camera as there’s already one covering the front of the house.

Cheers!

Chris

Why cant you just build one? Get something like a pi zero and something like a one button sort of keyboard. Power it with something like a PoE, maybe offload the memory/storage so it does netboot (if you can run a server 24/7).

The device housing/case would be custom, maybe use a lightswitch sort of box or something. The backend could be something simple like if you press a switch Volumio would play a some or something.

3 Likes

That’s a very good solution, but I would have to do a fair amount of learning to make it work. I do like your thinking though, so I’ll keep it in the “if I have time” bag :+1:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if they will suit you, but take a look…

Only many of these bells on the market are RF 433Mhz.

You can also have a look at the LINPTECH G6LW, the external module is RF and batteryless. Inner directly to the outlet and supports tuya.

1 Like

Thank you for this, i reckon I’ll go with those, especially one that can go 1000ft as that’s way more than needed. Only difficulty now is finding resellers that are in the UK. Thanks! :+1:

We use the wireless RF ones at work. The small batteries last for years in the push end.

Never considered connecting them to wifi tho- the less IOT, the happier I am

1 Like

Cheers for that, yes the batteries can last for ages eh.

I’d be putting them on a dedicated WLAN, just in case.

If you tell me exactly which model you choose, I will help you search in the EU if the cost of delivery to the UK is not a problem.

1 Like

Do you already happen to have a ZigBee network by any chance.

Asking since a ZigBee button bound to a ZigBee chime might be a bit faster and/or more reliable, and would still allow you to build automation.

I don’t have a specific device in mind, just wondering if you’d already thought about non-wifi options?

2 Likes

Thank you Tim, really kind :+1: I’ll have a look through them.

Cheers risk, no I don’t sadly. I do have home assistant running on a Pi though? Also have unifi cloudkey +, but their doorbells are silly money. I do have a TrueNAS Scale install if containers are helpful?

I’m more than happy with a non WiFi solution, prefer it in fact :grin:

The more weird option is the Sonoff RF hub and the RF button. Although the button is not intended for outdoor use. HA has Sonoff support, so it would be possible to create some signals etc.

2 Likes

Cheers Tim, yes an unusual solution, but a possible one nonetheless.