[UK] Build log for new Office Building (From Dig to waterproof structure to prettying up...ongoing)

Well, my heads been down getting paying work done, so not much change. Thought I’d show the tool store bit how it is now, getting ready to throw it all in the storage bit. Just need to fit a door, do the flooring and then it can all shove in there and I’ll have my office back again…only took 7 months :laughing:

Next should be a new internal stud wall, for the potential WC and mini-kitchen…or server/PC room!

3 Likes

The storage door has arrived! So soon I’ll have it installed, once I’ve re-run electric. Then tools can get out the office and it’ll become less industrial.

2 Likes

I’ve got to admit, it’s a nicely made door, though quite heavy at around 55 KG/120 lbs, so I wonder how I’m going to get it installed. Most doors are less than a quarter, but this one comes with the frame and door locked together.

Well, new electric is working well, so out with the old / questionable.

I’ve gotta say this has served me well as some basic protection in the office, and I know I can re-use it elsewhere

My admitted fail is that I had to switch the power off…while I was 13% done with testing a new drive. I have never worked so quickly while depending on the UPS to give me 3-5mins to safely disconnect the surplus electric cable. And why did I have to do that…ummm, the cable was passing through the door opening that’s having a new door, so it had to go!

I didn’t fancy re-starting the test, it had already taken nearly 24 hours just to get 13% of the drive (14TB) tested :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Ready to install now I’ve shaved the opening a bit and cut down the steel cill & header panel to size.

I have to say, I’m glad I upgraded a small bit and got stainless steel fittings, these make my hand look small lol

3 Likes

Had a moment to fit the door, yeah it was a 2 man job but I got it done. :sweat:

7 Likes

I hope you are OK and haven’t injured yourself.
This project is awesome to follow.

1 Like

Cheers mate, very kind to ask. :+1: I’m all good, I took my time as it’s a heavy lump if it falls. Glad you like to follow it…and that I’m not wasting time by sharing :slight_smile:

Did the final fitment a few hours ago, lock is working and door perfectly plumb (after some minor adjustment).

3 Likes

That is good to hear. Wish you all the best!

1 Like

And all the best to you too! :clap:

Just need to install flooring and I can have an office without bloody tools in it! :laughing:

2 Likes

lies… we all know that an office becomes a project area. I must have about 3 different projects on the shelves in my office that are unfinished.

And I still need to paint my office, clean up my wires again…

3 Likes

Haha, it’s true, glad I’m not the only one. I’m actually looking forward to getting tools and crap out the office…it’s becoming…crowded on the floor.

I think about tidying, but then I think, what’s the point, I’ll need those tools in a few days anyways. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

if it will make you feel better I will send photo’s of my “project” areas. I am lucky my wife is not murdering me.

By all means.

I’m in a similarly fortunate position, re murder.

Two unfinished keyboards

Random mess, including all the Christmas lights I need to replace the diods on,

O hey, look a whole water cooling kit I have not installed yet, and another unfinished keyboard, Not pictured, 2 more unfinished keyboards.

Growing e-waste pile

Staging area for some renovations I am doing.

Look at that good looking wall I have been building for weeks

Behind all that crap is a work bench, I would really like to have my work bench back… but that means cleaning that whole area.

2 Likes

Wow, you do have my sympathies…but it is an organised mess for sure :slight_smile:

It’s funny, I look at houses for a living so I don’t see mess, just walls, openings, floors & ceilings, but one thing that catches my eye is the growing e-waste pic…and the huge number of CAT cables you have coming out the wall. What’s that all about then?!? Are they CAT?

3 are Displayport over Fiber, but the rest are all CAT6. I rack all my gear and then use a local KVM so I can plug my work laptop into the same keyboard, monitor, and mouse. So some of the CAT6 cables are for USB extensions, and they I have a few different devices that require wired network like my work IP phone (POE powered).

What you dont see is that I have another 3 in the ceiling along with 4 RG6 drops.

1 Like

Cheers for that. I’d really like to look into KVM’s in general, my only experience of them is where two machines are side by side and there’s a KVM switch between them. Crikey, you’ve got a healthy amount of cabling there :slight_smile:

Thought I’d show some boring stuff, storage clean out time.

After

The stuff that came out

2 Likes

Bit of a mess

Slightly less mess

Lets just replace the DPM eh

1 Like

Measure up the new DPM

Throw it in and clean the existing overhang

Fit it (Mammoth tape keeps being my preferred stuff)

2 Likes