[UK] Build log for new Office Building (From Dig to waterproof structure to prettying up...ongoing)

I do hope so! I will keep posting pics, thanks for the compliment and glad you liked the moon pic! :slight_smile: :+1:

I will be relieved when complete! :slight_smile: Cheers though, I gotta say, I work in construction so it’s familiar stuff…tech is ironically not as familiar as it should be, for being on a forum like this! :laughing: :+1:

5 Likes

Dot n dab time today (i did the board edges later after), but tricky because I had to use offcuts…well over due for being paid for many jobs, so lack of funds :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Shelving is done at least, time to get the boxes in. I’ll plaster when I’ve got a moment - it will be a hassle as the shelving is up, but I might be able to lean it away from the wall later, we’ll see!

5 Likes

Just in case someone was OCD, I’ve just doubled up the head beam now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well that didn’t take long, not even finished yet

5 Likes

As they say, that escalated quickly, far from done!

4 Likes

and so it goes!

8 Likes

spams like

2 Likes

3 Likes

I am the original rebel, I once left a pen top off the pen, for over a day.

3 Likes

I am looking at getting a small MVHR unit, I’ll be interested to see how well it works. Something like this: HR100R/RS | Vent-Axia

I know of the perfect location too, in the store room to keep the noise down - though it’s really quiet based on what I’ve read. It’s also incredibly low power, but I must confirm this as it’s only 30W.

30W is a lot, see ego - LUNOS or e²60 - LUNOS

1 Like

That’s on boost (I’m a worst case guy), trickle is 19W.

That unit looks good, though it looks to be more suitable for a small room (bathroom, 6-8 Sq. M. etc.). My office is around 19-21 Sq. M.

I do like the one you linked, made a note as it could be perfect for our bathroom :+1:

Exactly, ego is a bathroom kind of thing, whereas e60 is built for synchronized operation where you’d have two/three/four of these on opposite sides of the house, and e.g. half of them would be exhausting for 2 minutes while other half is pulling air in, and every 2 minutes they’d switch direction. This synced operation is more efficient than ego, because you get better air mixing throughout the entire living space… (but then there’s wiring and cost of having multiple units…).

Which building regs/standards are you looking at for ventilation requirements in UK?

1 Like

Like you say, few people go for a multiple unit system.

For ventilation we have a bathroom requirement of 15 L/s, but I tend to strongly recommend 30 L/s provided there’s sufficient gap under the door (that should be 10mm for a 760mm door). I like to refer to New dwelling if in doubt, though a lot of regs cross over between existing/new dwellings. I don’t have the patience to be petty, so stick with New dwellings!

1 Like

Well, after months of having the sunlight hurting my eyes, I thought I’d apply the reflective film to the door. My “temporary” fudge (for months) was to just hang plastic sheet over the top of the door. Then a month ago (or more!) I bought the film, finally got around to fitting, as I was getting sick of moving the OSB sheets in front of the window and then away from it! Here it is applied though:

Here’s the plastic I’ve been using the cover the worst of the sunlight (now stapled to the ceiling)…yes, I need to clean the inside of the glass as well!

Light levels are now really comfortable, though the secondary reason was to control solar gain and so far, I’m not convinced. Yesterdays peak heat was 28C, today we’re at 26.5C so far and the sun hasn’t stopped shining on the glass. Today is a sunnier day than yesterday I’d say, but not by much and mainly during the morning when the sun wasn’t shining on the glass.

I’ll see how it is later today!

4 Likes

I’m not OCD, but those windows were dirty on the inside, so corrected the issue! (apart from the right hand side light)

4 Likes

Just a slightly pointless example of light levels let through.

I’ve also put my hand on the floor where the sun is shining on to it, compared with un foiled floor. The difference in temperature is substantial.

I can finally get rid of the OSB sheets that I’ve been covering my doors with! :laughing:

6 Likes

Bit of a trial run with the new 12V LED strip lighting, the supplier was BS’ing about Lumens output (they were cheap), so off to the electrical trade shop I go. 1500-1600lm is what I need, not 500-700!

Need to board up between the joists, but I’d quite like to keep them, instead of doing boring old plasterboard over all of 'em!

6 Likes

Didn’t like them much, so swapped out for some decent ones (350lm per metre)…think I’ll get another strip just to be sure! Dimmable too :slight_smile:

6 Likes