Ucav's homelab blog

Don’t do RAID0 for any ZFS cache.

Yeah, I also have a VGA2HDMI converter. They are very flaky. In BIOS, it flashes the screen, like 2 seconds awake, 2 seconds black screen, 2 seconds awake etc. On some of my supposedly better cables, it wouldn’t output (never had issues with them on normal HDMI devices). Changed to an older, but shorter cable, it worked (with the flashing screen). On booting an OS (proxmox, or live Ubuntu), it’s fine.

2 Likes

This?

1 Like

Yes. Push that button as indicated above.

1 Like

I would not agree with much of this, honestly. The less subjective stuff is jurisdictional.

Didn’t seem to work. It isn’t allowing me to log in with the default credentials.

I have “reset” it a few times now and no change. I am using the Dell default root and calvin. I have a vga cable that should be here tomorrow so I will try again with directly connecting and reset everything that way.

1 Like

Got a VGA cable. troubleshooting it now.

Flashed IT mode on the PERC H710 and now on to ProxMox!

Thanks to @HaaStyleCat and this dude H710 D1 Full Size - Fohdeesha Docs

5 Likes

Having a hard time getting ProxMox to boot. Will come back to it tomorrow.

The installer seems to run fine but then when it reboots it doesn’t see a boot drive.

1 Like

If that is the back of your machine the iDRAC card isn’t installed. I know you need to have a certain level of iDRAC support linked to the card to enable things like say remote console. Basic things like monitoring and powering on and off should work fine remotely, and should be able to ssh into the machine, but if something is broken on the software side you may not be able to get in without a physical connection to a monitor/keyboard.

Another thing. Is the drive you want to boot from installed directly to the motherboard or through the PERC H710? It must be directly connected to the motherboard to be available as a boot option is the H710/H310 is in IT mode. *NOTE- I may be wrong as a novice, but this was the only way I was able to boot up my machine. I am VERY new to enterprise level hardware and others may know better than I.

Its early not fully awake (1/2 cup of coffee)… will get more up or try to help today if I can.

3 Likes

I think you are correct about the boot drive.

1 Like

Yeah, the Dell hardware seems hardcoded to read from the h710 in RAID mode… when you flash it to IT the hardware itself cant see the drives individually or so it seems to me.

I did see after flashing the h310 to IT mode, I had a option in the boot menu for the card settings to making a drive a “Bootable” drive, but I haven’t messed with that once I had it working using it directly attached to the motherboard. So that might work?

Must have more coffee…lol

I managed to make my T420 (T320 conversion) dual bootable… but the order of install, location of the drives and using the dual SD card internal module all played a part in if I was successful or not.

I discovered that enterprise hardware, while cool, and great for a application that needs to avoid downtime or the service is vital, it does not have the useability/flexability as consumer hardware. It can be made to do whatever you want I’m sure, just takes a bit more research and know-how. :slight_smile: Unless your using supported OS’s for said hardware… which is usually expensive like Windows Server, Citrix, VMware. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

From the few Dell servers that I worked with, some had the iDRAC NIC next to the on-board NIC and you could toggle between using iDRAC as an IPMI interface, or just a network interface in your OS. But my bad, I didn’t look the direction where the iDRAC arrow pointed to. The NICs near the built-in ones were always marked with the specific dark grey color if they were iDRAC capable.

So, no, ucav’s server doesn’t have iDRAC.

1 Like

External Picture:

Internal Picture:

Can buy one for not too much, and can find a way to get a discounted key to use more advanced features.

2 Likes

Or get a Pi-KVM and just install Dell OpenManage in Linux if you need to check the health of your server components. If you’re using Proxmox, good, because they have a Debian / Ubuntu repo.

1 Like

https://www.clamav.net/about

Anyone ever use this or have any thoughts on it? Came up in my class today.

1 Like

I picked one up for my R510 for like $30 IIRC.

3 Likes

Are the iDRAC cards pretty universal?

1 Like

Uhhh, that I don’t know. I would look up your server and see what it’s corresponding iDRAC model would be.

3 Likes

i gotta admit though im glad i have the system
before i had to change the hard drive in my camera/dvr system some joker tried to have me sued because he “Fell” and broke his foot
he must have been a cat hater though because he kicked a cat off of my steps (nighttime)!
the officer just laughed like hell when he saw the footage.
The cat was made of painted concrete

6 Likes

Ok, that’s funny

2 Likes