Ubuntu + ZFS + Docker = More questions

I decided to take the plunge away from unraid and freenas and start and build something that will give me the best of two worlds, ZFS+Docker.
Test Bed
GTX1060
32GB RAm
3x 1Tb Spinning Rust,1x 1TB SSD
960 NVME 250gb

1. I was able to install 18.04.3 with the alternative installer (I kept on getting Failed to Probe errors on the new updated installer).
  2. I installed ZFS on Linux through Ubuntu Repository, and was able to setup a RAIDZ and the SSD is now my cache.
  3. I installed Docker CE, and just learned about docker-compose (what nifty tool).
    Questions:
  4. What are my dashboard admin page options to get an overall GUI look at my zfs setup and dockers? The only reason i ask because I’m unfamiliar what is out there in the wild.
  5. How do implement, Hardware Acceleration to my Plex Docker using NVIDIA GPU. (I’m really lost on how to do this. I was able to get Intel Quicksync no problem but looking to get the NVIDIA GPU working)
  6. With docker-compose, I see different versions, what does that all mean, why can’t use an updated version in my yml? Example Linuxserver/Plex uses Version 2 and seen some other examples that use version 3.

Haven’t found any kind of gui that does much with ZFS, gui are overrated anyways :slight_smile:

There’s an example Docker container provided by nVidia for using cuda cores, that’s probably your best place to start . Some folks claim to have Plex working by using --device /dev/dri in the run line, I couldn’t get that to work. The container could see the gpu but not utilize it.

See here: https://docs.docker.com/compose/compose-file/compose-versioning/

I have actually been thinking about running a test server with Debian+ZFS+KVM+Docker and compare it to my unRAID system.

1. Sorry about the lack of dashboard, I don’t know if there’s any good one available…utilities like zfs list and lsblk help a tonne though.
  2. Have you installed Nvidia’s properitary drivers? I know not how Plex can use it, however, TensorFlow’s Docker Container comes with all the necessary drivers packaged inside it, and just requires Nvidia drivers.
    I would suggest start by getting those drivers, first. Then maybe look for Plex containers with GPU support. Or write your own Dockerfile to create a custom container image, if all else fails.
  3. Docker-Compose has a complete list of file version. You can look it up to understand more about compatibility of docker-compose with different versions of docker-compose.yml files.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I was able to get the drivers installed on 18.04.3, just confused on which set of instructions to use. I’m hoping to use docker-compose with this setup.

1 Like

If an example you’re following is using compose version 2, I would consider that example to be obsolete, version 3 has been around for some time now.

Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and read the documentations.
Docker’s documentation is really awesome. If you know how to setup Plex (with GPU) on your favorite distro, you can totally write a Dockerfile and generate your own Docker image to do that. Sorry, I couldn’t help you much, I have no experience with plex.

1 Like

The difference between docker-compose versions is like the difference between a doc and docx file. They both serve the exact same purpose, but doc files work on both old and new versions of word, however docx files have a couple more features.

Version 2 docker-compose.yml files and version 3 ymls are the same deal, you can use version 2 with older docker versions, but version 3 has a couple more features(well actually, there are also some things removed but still) but only works on newer docker versions.

However, many compose files would work fine even with version 1, so if there is an existing version 2 file, there is no need to update it urgently.

If you are writing a new compose file use 3 unless there is some reason not to in your case.

I was able to get everything working under Ubuntu with CL. Now a couple questions

1. What kind mainenance should I be running on the ZFS Pool or dataset
  2. Where is a good location to store snapshots?

Is the SSD SLC or at least MLC NAND? If not, you really shouldn’t use it as ZFS cache, it will wear out fast… really it’s only good for Optane…

The Cache drive is a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (2.5 inch drive).