Ubuntu vs Windows - Gaming Performance!

Because at the end of the day certain game and software devs will not port the software.

When Autodesk ported AutoCAD to OSX they didn't get any new customers they simply had preexisting customers switch OS's. They made no money.

This is why a lot of of companies are hesitant on porting software.

Virtualization is a solution to that problem for those of us who need/want certain software and games that won't be ported.

The bottle neck here is bare metal hypervisors are not the easiest thing to run. A better GUI for passing through GPUs would help tremendously.

I have ran KVM and Xen and done passthrough but it really needs to be simplified for the end user.

1 Like

I feel like ubuntu was the wrong OS to do this with. As it stands, arch, gentoo, and related distros are probably best right now as the GPU performance we want in 480's and stuff is all in the drivers now that the hardware is out. That being said, ubuntu has a bit of an old kernel to even support the newer drivers, which aggravates me immensely. I dream of the day that I can have crossfire in linux, if AMD could pull raja out of his own dumb ass.

Either way, good work. Forum needs this content back in it.

1 Like
  • Ubuntu is not the fastest linux distro though, should have tried SolusOS maybe, that has a Steam optimized container environment and substitutes the runtimes, like every distro except Ubuntu, Mint, Debian and other Ubuntu and Debian derivates do, the Steam runtime is really old and totally not optimized;

• nVidia linux drivers are just the Windows drivers in a wrapper, there is no decent way to run nVidia on linux period, sinve nVidia doesn4t want to cooperate to make the open source drivers better, and it's the only driver that still is not a KMS driver and thus requires compromising the security of the entire system by having to make a system wide exception to the MAC/RBAC. nVidia GPU's are just not a responsible and serious option in Linux any more, too much unacceptable compromise.

Virtmanager makes it stupid easy, see my PCI passthrough guide.

As I said the same argument can be said about flash vs HTML5.

Did flash work? Yes. But adobe's lack of support, much like Microsoft with windows, pushed people away. We are seeing the same movement with Linux.

Emulation is not the answer, it is a temporary bandage for those of us who adopt early, much like the browsers you could download that had flash support.

The performance difference is going to be extremely miniscule, especially since the kernel and driver I used already has great support for the 900 series.

This video wasn't a "look how much faster I can make Linux" thing. This was a realistic look at the performance that the average user can expect when they switch to linux. New users don't use arch or Gentoo.

1 Like

iirc the debian Nvidia driver supports DKMS. Unless you are referring to something else.

Even though it might be a wrapper, it's quite impressive to match performance with windows while using a non-native driver (if what you say is true).

Been using using Linux for 12+ years somethings with never change.

I followed the guide using Ubuntu and with combining it with the tutorial on digital ocean I managed to get it working. Unfortunately if I play demanding game I some times get some periodical stuttering but I can still play Rocket league level games.
There might be some settings that I need to tweak but I really enjoyed setting it up to work and now with Linux I can create VMs for what I need when I need it as a developer.

VM Specs:
10gb ram
2 cores, 2 threads (i7-4790k)
GTX 970

I wouldn't waste my time with these videos if I thought that.

All it takes is one big company to start the push. For flash all it took was YouTube switching to HTML5, and then every other site followed.

For Linux that could be the next Call of Duty, Adobe CC, or ProTools.

It won't mark the end of Windows, not at all. But it will start the movement, and soon after other companies won't have any choice but to switch (like Twitch finally getting rid of flash just this year).

Is the disk image on an SSD?

BTW I think you are in the wrong thread.

You can set the mouse acceleration profile to flat in gnome tweak tool's keyboard and mouse section. This is the only way I can disable mouse acceleration when using Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 with gnome 3.24, but I think that option is not their for previous versions of Ubuntu or Gnome.

Can also just do $ xset m 00

Just saw this vid I am surprised actually. I hope you can get a hold of AMD cards that would be fantastic. Hoping to play Star Citizen (among others!) on native Linux. Thanks for this video!