Ubuntu, Suse, and Fedora coming to the windows store

Let's discuss.

1 Like

Linux ... now with added telemetry, for your computing convenience!

We've all had one of those days, haven't we? It's just so inconvenient when the NSA decides to break into your system. Beat them to the punch and let us take the hassle out of being under observation. Our telemetry will proactively share all of your Linux details with the NSA, so that you won't have to! ; )

2 Likes

Interesting move by Microsoft, I'm not fully sure how I feel about this. It is good the they are offering options for people wanting a Linux environment on Windows and the article brought up an interesting point that since these are Windows Store apps they will also work on Windows 10 S devices which could help Microsoft gain some traction but I personally have reservations about running anything critical on a Linux environment under Windows for obvious privacy issues and telemetry, etc.

My hope is that this will be a good first step to get people using Linux as its easily accessible and they may decide to make the switch when they have more experience with it.

Eh this is ok.

Though the target demographic of "Computer Science" students (at least at my university) own a MacBook, already run Linux as their primary OS on their laptop, or already have a full copy of Windows on their laptop.
So it really does not affect them that much.
Furthermore, all most all of the engineering workstations use Linux (Elementary OS).

IMO most student developers are either going to buy a full featured Windows laptop or get a Mac. So putting it on the store only helps non university students get a taste of Linux.

I can't wait for nefarious students to use the Windows store to run Linux to get around schools blocking websites.

A potential benefit can be Linux on mobile and Xbone as the Windows store is universal, but then again, no one uses a Windows 10 phone or anyone on Xbox would even care about having Linux.

I could get all Tim Sweeney and say this is the exe apocalypse, but on M$ is not locking the bootloader of the laptops (yet) so people can always replace the OS or run it off a Live CD.

You could argue that by supporting the Windows store, you are inadvertently leading to the death of exe.

Oh look Microsoft finally found a bootstrapping tutorial after all these years!
Nah but srsly more power to them, we're already making use of containerization & virtualization in these next gen os'es so mix-matching is becoming a norm if it ain't already.

1 Like

I fail to understand. I already Feel schizo just switching around from os to os. Combining them seems more than a little stupid to me. I struggle.

Anything m$ can do to keep you on windows, in case you thought about switching.

Once again MS gets it wrong, the proper setup is running Linux with a Windows VM on top of it, not the other way around.:grinning:

7 Likes

MS is trying to keep people on windows because they start to understand that many of its infrastructure is obsolete.
This is not bad...They probably have some kind of "Embrace, extend, and extinguish" strategy but i cannot see it really working that well.

Infecting the OS with some FOSS stuff might be a good thing. In the least is convenient and at the best this might help some become familiar enough with the terminal that will make a switch to native linux more straightforward.

Got the 1709 update at work today. Fedora wasn’t available for some reason though. My work machine has to be windows so you’ll get no complaint from me.

2 Likes

Its a funny world when you run windows to use Ubuntu, Suse, and Fedora at once.

You’ve been able to do that on Linux for ages, since fakeroot and chroot have been around.

I dunno how they’re doing this exactly, but if you want to talk about full separation, containers have been around for years.

1 Like

stop losing admins and devs to linux, or at least trying that.

how, not why.

I’m thinking about the actual method they’re using to create the fedora shell, if it’s a container or a VM or just some sort of chroot.

whoops misread that.

AFAIK it’s not a VM, it’s like Wine but the other way around.