Ubuntu Nvidia Driver Issues

Hey guys!

So I just installed ubuntu, and im having some issues with my nvidia graphics card. Big surprise. :stuck_out_tongue: So I have an integrated graphics on my cpu, and a 770 for the gpu. The issue is that I have four monitors, one on the iGPU (which works flawlessly and have no issue with the monitor), with the other three on the 770. The issue comes from the drivers, which seem to not work.

When I run the X.org driver, all the monitors are shown, but I can only enable one monitor, if I enable more, it crashes and disables them again. It also doesn't have any options for rotating the display, etc (I run portrait on the 770 monitors). When I move to the nvidia drivers, none of the monitors even show up.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Burrito

1 Like

That sounds annoying and like a reason to not use nvidia. Are you using proprietary or nouveau? Check by going to terminal and entering

lspci -v

hmm I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but when I do the command I can't see it? Regardless, when I go to the additional drivers in the settings, it says I am running the nvida drivers

Scroll up, you'll see nvidia like twice, see what the loaded driver is. Its at the bottom of the index.

Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_375_drm, nvidia_375

Okay this is what I see, whats next? Thanks for the help btw

Its using the proprietary driver.... Well, whoever wants to pick it up from there I kicked you out of the plane. Someone pull this guy's parachute.

that cat is blind now from the wind.

1 Like

So to update, if I disable the iGPU from the bios, the GPU and drivers work fine, but when I re-enable, it of course goes back to previous state. Anyone have ideas as to what the issue is?

The issue is with the NVidia driver that they ported to linux.

No they don't want to fix them.

Hate to break it to you but labtops with an iGPU and nVidia dGPU is the single worst (one of the worst?) combination to get working in linux.

You could continue to leave the iGPU disabled, however this kills battery life as there is no mutexing.

If I recall, bumblebee is what people tried to use to get around this issue, but with limited success.

yeah damn but I have no idea how, but some how I've got it working, and will experiment more. My next step is to look into VT-D and GPU VM Pass-through, but will make another thread for that if the need arises. Thanks for the help!!

Good luck.

Yep. Looking forward to it.

First thing to do in these cases is running nvidia settings. It's a GUI app that shows you the state of the GPU. That, combined with the regular Display settings should allow you to set everything up.

If you run Nvidia PRIME (it is a package called nvidia-prime) and/or bumblebee chances are the GPU will not be enabled per default as this is the goal of that software. If you want to use both GPUs together and not switch dynamically between them, be aware about that.

1 Like