Ubuntu MSI R9 390 Help

have you had any success with the driver?

is AMDGPU-PRO another proprietary driver or is it open source?

link is broken for me too.

do any of you think that the AMDGPU drivers will take off and replace the current drivers as the top dog?

The new AMD PRO driver from AMD's beta website MAY not work with kernel 4.4, its hard to get a clear answer from AMD these days. They did say that they will release a update 'soonTM' for Ubuntu 16.04. As for ARCH and other distros, you may be out of luck?!

The AMD PRO driver is called SEMI open-source.. Has bits of code from catalyst and also open-source in it, along with their new Vulkan code.

UPDATE: Try sudo nano /etc/rc.local and do some googling on howto use that. Create the perf-applet group manually first, then remove the SUDO part of my script and place in rc.local.... There is also other ways, google is your friend :-)
Keep in mind that radeonsi driver MAY use a different state file, it could be hidden in another folder. You should verify these files beforehand by checking their content etc... (if possible).

You may need to apply the power state patch I mention above BEFORE you boot into X. You can boot to the command terminal from the menu and mount the \ partition, then apply adjustments to whatever startup/script daemon that works. Wish I could remember what I used.

Keep in mind that startup scripts often don't need any sudo or anything as its already in elevated privileges.

The AMD-Pro driver is the replacement and top dog for AMD atm (assuming you can get it installed). However in saying that the radeonsi/amdgpu drivers are the only ones I know to date that work with the latest Kernel versions (4.4+), I suspect AMD-Pro driver doesn't work with 4.4+ right off the bat.
(I will attempt to get a direct answer from AMD staff about that as their website OFTEN misses details about these things).

Here is some benchmarks that people may find interesting.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-win10-amdgpupro&num=1

Still not sure on the steps to getting AMDGPU-PRO driver on 16.04 with Kernel4.4. ONE AMD rep once told me to JUST install it, but I don't trust its that simple. REALLY don't want to BRICK my install, might make a partition backup just in case before trying. (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND OTHERS TO DO THE SAME)...

UPDATE: I got it semi working in 16.04 kernel4.4 but it doesn't appear to load some important modules, and screws up X a bit (loads without theme/icon/bar/links).

From what I understand if you want to use AMDGPU-PRO driver which is the replacement for catalyst and has Vulkan support (follow AMD install instructions) then you will need to install Kernel 4.2 on your Ubuntu 16.04 install, yes that does mean downgrading the kernel to get it working.

AMD is currently a couple months behind on updating this new beta driver, but they CLAIM Ubuntu 16.04 WILL come with an updated version fully working for newer kernels. I'll believe it when I see it! How far away is Ubuntu 16.04 release I wonder? (JUST CHECKED, COUPLE DAYS IT SEEMS..... WE'LL SEE AMD, ALL TALK AND BROKEN PROMISES!)

1 Like

I believe this issue is souly related to a heating issue. I was able to run my system from a cold boot for almost an hour before the system fell over, but the issue is that its not just the graphics card that falls over the entire system falls over with it. I was unable to SSH into my desktop nor could any of my services continue not continue for example spotify began to play the last track on a 2 second loop over and over again. my system is more than sufficiently cooled though the fans on my graphics card never turned.

Yep I discovered that also. The fan control for 390 cards is almost non-existent in Linux atm, that's why I manual control it with those commands I mentioned, 255 being max. I'm pretty sure there would be a way to write a basic script that checks GPU temp, and adjust fan according to your preferences, I know there are applications that do that but they are often not maintained and don't work.