Ubuntu going to Xorg for 18.04

Hmm. Defaulting to Xorg instead of defaulting to Wayland? Why not just make it an option on install, in the sense of you pick what you want in the installer using a very big button? Perhaps this is exactly what will happen?

Ubuntu is trying to be a consumer distribution, what would you great-auntie say if her OS asked her what display server she wanted to use for her desktop environment? Better to pick a sensible default and allow sophisticated users to change it.

This doesnt happen anymore. You get what they give you, they don’t want users who don’t know what they are doing picking random crap.

There is usually a netinstal disk that does let you pick the various options. And if you really want, you can use a kickstart script. Neither of these options are defaults for a reason.

I like X. :frowning:

1 Like

You better be memeing on me.

1 Like

No. I take advantage of it’s network transparency all the time. And I use Nvidia so i don’t have a choice. ThanksTM

1 Like

X to go is really cool. I’m thinking of setting up my raspi as a mobile sniffer and using it for that.

I’m sorry for your loss…es.

I would probably use Wayland:

1. If i could.
  2. If it had network transparency.
  3. If my laptop could handle it.

I like X too, but I just want to use Wayland when the multi-monitor support gets better along with some Nvidia drivers. >.<
which might not happen anytime soon, damn you nvidia!

I just want the screen jitter and tearing to stop.

1 Like

Me too… No wonder I switched to i3wm…
but i3 is only X… but there’s a i3 for Wayland. but i haven’t tried it yet…

Wayland has very little community support in general. Netrunner had a good implementation where Wayland and X worked together, before xwayland, and Wayland handled the calls and back end while X handled the DE and front end. That worked great till the bugs that were in X that allowed that to work so well were patched.

1 Like

The problem is that there are critically important features that Wayland doesn’t support by fucking design.

Don’t get me wrong, Wayland is good software, but it’s still got major problems. I’d rather use X than Wayland because it supports the features I need.

If you’re getting screen tearing with X, you might want to go into the weeds and figure out what’s actually the problem, because I haven’t encountered tearing since 2012ish?

I mean that sounds like less of a wayland problem and more of a “I need extensions” problem. I can see where people who do admin stuff would be like “I need X to go, or etc feature that relies on that, so wayland won’t work for me” but as a guy that plays games and stares at Vivaldi and terminals for 4 hours X drives me batty. I am excited for it to go away finally.

Does Wayland have an extensions API or do you have to patch it?

Last I checked, wayland refused to support screen capture for security reasons, which is a good reason, but there has to be a better solution.

At some point, we have to accept that Wayland is incomplete. While I’m excited for X to go away as well, for stability and feature completeness sake, that time is not today.

I think its just another classic BS argument. To each user, his own. Though I’m pretty sure I have used TeamViewer on Wayland, but it also could have been XWayland.

Theres been chatting of it having an implementation of extensions similar to how Gnome does. I don’t know how far that’ll go, but a lot of people on IRC like it.

It had better be C++. I’m sick of seeing projects implement “extensions” in shit languages like JavaScript.

Yes, but we’re talking about a distribution that serves millions (theoretically) of users. This means they have to support the lowest common denominator.

1 Like

Nope, doesn’t work on Wayland.

It is being added to Gnome, though.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Mutter/RemoteDesktop

2 Likes

Ahhh yes it was on xwayland then. Oh yeah JB had a show on that. And the security aspect on wayland doing that lockdown made sense and since you could just have it in the de it’d be easier to implement that way.

Well, easier in that it keeps the desktop compositor simple, but not easier in that every DE needs to implement it. Gnome is already on it, and I’m sure KDE will be too, but what if you prefer a less popular DE like i3, XFCE, or MATE? You might just be SOL.

1 Like