Ubuntu Gnome 14.10...cannot even select menu tabs in programs

Is there anything else I can provide to help such as logs?

That's so strange :/ I guess you can try 14.04 if you want... if you haven't done anything else to it the dropdown should be there...

Yeah, I haven't edited any system files just installed programs from the software centre provided by canonical. I'll erase and install 14.04 when I get the chance. Thanks for the help though. I'll report back on my findings and hope that it works.

Ok, tried 14.04.2 and it is incredibly worse than 14.10. Nothing worked, not even buttons. I checked the hashes on the image and they check out, installed them in various ways from win32imager to pendrive. I don't know what do besides to wait until ubuntu gnome can used.

i installed Ubuntu and Linux Mint dual booting on an old AMD A8 7700k system and so far everything has been running smooth. I did have a minor issue when using FireFox in Ubuntu to watch netflix, a simple reinstall of firefox fixed it; although i did not have that issue in Mint.Have not tried virtualbox yet but hopefully on the weekend i can get that setup.

I think it's the support on my setup that's the issue, I have a multi-monitor setup on a ati radeon 7870 HD using 3 monitors, 2 on dvi and one on display port.

Maybe try another DE like Xubuntu or Kubuntu?

I've been really liking Ubuntu gnome 15.04 nightlies, I've found them to be quite stable and get loads of updates and builds of fresh kernels.
If you install it, it will get an update to the stable release when it's available (guessing around the 26th/ when main stream Ubuntu 15.04 is released).
I'd advise you not bother installing the proprietary AMD drivers from AMD directly, the versions available as fglrx-updates in the repos are pretty up to date and perform exactly the same (horribly). My experience with fglrx-updates have been really well behaved, as in they don't need to be manually rebuilt for new kernels, which is a total pain in the rectum.

Yeah, I've only used the drivers as instructed by wendell. I'll humor you though and install 15.04 to see if it's any better...all I know is that I won't be switching to linux anytime soon until these issues are resolved since I am too a gamer.

Don't use the drivers Wendell recommends? You can use whatever you want, but whatever you ware doing post usb installer you are breaking it.

Nothing broke when I made the boot usb drive, since I've tried those programs I mentioned above and made measures to prevent corruption by checking the checksums of the image. The installation process I have used is not at fault here.

Well when its working for everyone else...

Good luck bro!

Sure but do they have the same setup as mine? I'm not here to fight, I'm here to get linux working so I can move on, so far this is failing.

Ok, tried to install 15.04 but it comes up with an error each and every time I try: "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.". Could not check the checksum since it was not on ubuntu's hashes site so I downloaded it twice, used both win32imager and pendrive.

Mod can close this topic, I have had enough of linux, I've run into many problems...even the simplest of tasks and enough is enough. I will wait until a long while before I can use linux again. I will save you the ranting. Goodbye and thank you for all the help that you guys have provided.

There's more than one way to skin the cat in Linux, you just have to be willing to learn.

I think you took this the wrong way with that analogy, it's not me being not wanting to learn, it's just the simplest things that any operating system should be able to do and should NOT be a problem, especially...yeah, this is why I didn't want to rant, please leave it at that.

I'm not sure why you think people are mad at you...?

The previous analogy was correct, by the fact you gave up. This one is also true. I get a car, someone stranger gives me an after market chip, I install it then complain to the dealership that the car isn't running. You said yourself that you changed the theme. We have no idea what you did there.

You did not state which video drivers you were using, nor were you willing isolate the issue by trying another desktop environment (KDE or XFCE which are Kubuntu/Xubuntu). Others asked you if you installed the base binaries for VirtualBox (there are two things you install with VirtualBox. 1) VirtualBox 2) X86 virtualization solution - base binaries) but nothing.

Even if none of those things worked, if figuring the issue out is too much for you, then maybe a simpler OS like Windows or OSX are better suited for you.

Like I said, good luck!

Like this fine gentleman: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/revisiting-ati-problem-hd7990-ubuntu-gnome/77114/ Who is also having issues with 7xxx series AMD cards.

Again, you took this the wrong way but I'll give an example, I buy a car it's intended to go forward and backward, show's me information on the dash and it also steers in the direction with the front wheel, that's what I'm facing with, the car won't do those things, which every other car is supposed too. The theme was just from light to dark on the tweak tool, which in fact pretty much does nothing else to the system, white to black, that's it. I did state what I was using, please read my previous posts. I've tried other distro's such as the ones that I would use like the original ubuntu (unity) to see if it would work but no. This is not too much for me, I'm tech savvy and I have 14 years of experience under my belt as do my certifications. As I stated in my posts that I am going to wait until linux matures, I have not given up on it completely. Sure, this would work on older hardware but we both know that's not going to happen, not for this.