Ubuntu 20.10 + RX 6800 XT - How To Steam / Vulkan Up And Runing Guide [WIP]

Came here to get my amdgpu working for my Radeon RX 570. I managed to break the driver when I installed it straight off the AMD website due to having Ubuntu 20.10.

Followed the instructions all the way to the Reboot and its all better now. I stopped reading at that point because I had achieved my goal. Thanks!

Hi. throwaway account. I just wanted to give a huge thank you for this post, i was really frustrated right from the get go because I was trying to install KDE Neon which is based on 20.04, the distro installer wouldn’t even work. After full-upgrading to 20.10 and adding the firmware my computer finally seems to work.

Here’s roughly the additional steps for KDE Neon:

Distro Installation:
When installing from live media, use recovery mode, because the computer will not even boot from the live media otherwise.

be warned that this will put nomodeset on the linux kernel parameters of the installed OS which prevents amdgpu from loading entirely, otherwise the same freezing will happen as the live media. This is just temporary, will remove it later after installing the amdgpu drivers

1. Change /etc/apt/sources.list to look like Groovy Gorilla’s sources.list

2. as per Wine installation steps in wine wiki , you need to add wine’s repository key or apt update will not work

3. run apt update, apt full-upgrade

4. midway through full-upgrade, i got errors installing mesa related stuff, just delete them

5. From here pretty much just follow the OP post
    install AMDGPU drivers from amd website, firmware and such, as per OP post. Note the AMDGpu installer script has a --no-dkms switch so that it skips adding dkms entirely, when i tried uninstalling dkms manually it wanted to remove the base amdgpu package as well.

6.1. the next time you reboot, go into advanced options for KDE neon, press E when highlighting the first option, find the kernel parameter “nomodeset” and delete it. then F10, i got it working after that.

idk if its important but might want to delete neon-installation-modeset.cfg from /etc/default/grub.d/

6.2. oh actually you have to remove nomodeset from the non-recovery option of /etc/default/grub.cfg because 6.1 only lasts for the current boot

1. run sudo update-grub to save 6.2 permanently

i tried to update to latest amdgpu driver 20.50 but it breaks my games again. So will have to try to redo all steps all again and Hope it fixes it again. sigh

do you need the amdgpu? I just pull MESA from git. AMDGPU is really for qualified professional applications not for gaming. It only makes sense to use when nothing else is working.

well i saw there was a update for cyberpunk 2077 that enabled AMD Raytracing. and i have a RX 6800 XT. so i wanted to try it and said need latest amd drivers.

I got the games working again with the 20.45 drivers. might have missed a step again on the 20.50 but it works again.

Still wondering how to enable the Raytracing in cyberpunk somehow to see if i can getmore FPS? not sure if that would be the case.

What is the best way to update these drivers ? the Amd drivers and mesa
Edited…

That is not how this works…

AMDGPU is the driver, Mesa is the API implementations that talk to the driver.

What you are referring to is AMDGPU-PRO, which is a proprietary module that in itself sits on top of AMDGPU.

See also: Switching to Linux..... AMD GPU Drivers - #13 by mihawk90

I’m not 100% on that but I don’t think any of the raytracing is implemented on Mesa yet. The game unlocking the ability doesn’t magically enable it on the OS level.

Make sure that you update the Kernel alongside the driver since it is a Kernel module. If shouldn’t even be loading if it’s not compatible but you never know. As for mesa, there are Mesa PPAs that go from the Git master branch. I’m not on Ubuntu so I’m just gonna send you to the Lutris driver guide instead, which is usually fairly up to date on that:

@mihawk90 for the nvidia driver i had that yes when i still had my 1080ti card. Since i switched.
For the AMD part i had that ppa from kisak added :slight_smile:

As for the kernel i did update to the latest 5.10.26 i think the latest was. Since i manual updated the kernel i have to do that each time. So when 21.04 comes i can get into that so it will update that also automatically again. So i guess i have to wait and be patient :wink:

As for Cyberpunk i thought it was already in the driver just not enabled in the game yet.

dkms packages are now causing an error trying to install them… should I update my linux headers?

Hello,

New to linux, have a new build and trying to install AMD drivers for a 6600 XT on POP OS 20.04 ( 21.04 install would hang )

Trying to follow Wendell’s tutorial but I get “Unsupported DEB-based OS: /etc/os-release ID ‘pop’” when I put ./amdgpu-install in the terminal

Any tips on how to get to the next step would be a big help

If your reading this , have a great weekend

did you use the AMD vidcard version to install?

if so:
card may not be yet supported in linux drivers…

Thanks for reply , yes I used the AMD driver on their site

you only need the firmware out of that, otherwise amdgpu open source will work fine :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply Mr. Wendell, really enjoy your vids

…UPDATE… Pop os would not work no matter what , tried Ubuntu and BINGO !

Thanks again Wendell

Hey Wendell, great video. I had a little bit to add to make it easier for people to get going.

I would caution people using UUKU and the likes.

1.) Having people add random PPAs to their system usually leads to broken systems when they do not know what they are doing.

2.) UUKU and those external kernel adders and parameter adders eventually go rogue and people have issues removing the old stuff and adding the new stuff (if they don’t know what they are doing).

With that said, you can go on github and download the kernel as a zip file and just extract the files that you need.

Overall, the video is not bad and I do agree that it is an easier solution as long as the person understands what they are doing. I have helped fix too many issues from easy solutions that people blindly install. They don’t know what they did so they cannot explain to me what went wrong and where they got the information(s) from.

Hello again,

Sorry for the newb question

Trying to get a 6600 XT working on ubuntu 21.04 now ( had 20.04 working )
Following Wendell’s newest video , I get stuck at the part where I copy git files to my system; says permission denied.

Why would permission be denied ? Did I miss something ?

Thanks

Because that directory is only writable by root, so you’d have to sudo cp ….

That being said, you should never be writing to root-only directories manually unless you know exactly what you’re doing. And sorry if that sounds like being an ass, but if the permissions already trip you up I’m not sure that’s the case.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thanks for the info , don’t mind learning the hard way

Going to try that

Have a good one

Also, it looks like you’re trying to copy the contents of your home directory to /lib/firmware/amdgpu which is probably not what you had in mind.

2 Likes

And this is exactly why I never include sudo in anything that I post on the web. It keeps the honest people honest and forced them to learn what it is that they are actually trying to do. So many stack exchange searches end in carnage.

1 Like