Ubuntu 18.04 Installation Issue w/ HP Laptop

hi folks, i’ve been having some trouble with this the past couple days and figured i might as well ask for help here since you’re all pretty cool and know a lot more about this stuff than me.

HP Notebook 15-bw071nr

• AMD Dual-Core A9-9420 APU (3 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency, 1 MB cache)
  • 4 GB DDR4-1866 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
  • AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Conditions

• Initially tested with Antergos 17.10, and Kubuntu 18.04, same errors
  • Updated laptop to latest BIOS from the manufacturer site
  • Using Rufus to create the bootable USB (16GB Sandisk Cruzer) - tested installation in both ISO and DD image mode, also tested with UnetBootin
  • Attempted modifying the boot conditions to possibly bypass the AMDGPU issue, still failed, citing only the ACPI errors and the “live file system” error.
  • USB has been tested in 2.0 and 3.0 ports
  • .iso tested on desktop rig, no issues

[Firmware Bug]: cpu 0, invalid threshold interrupt offset 1 for bank 4, block 0 (MSR00000413=0xd000000001000000)
ACPI Error: [WLVD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170831/psargs-364) 
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.WLBU._STA, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170831/psparse-550)

The ACPI errors repeat another 6 times

[7.736323] [drm:hwss_wait_for_blank_complete [amdgpu]] * ERROR * DC: failed to blank crtc!

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

as always i’m willing to listen to whatever advice you all may have, and if this isn’t the right place to ask for help, i’ll delete the post promptly. thank you.

Honestly i forget what I had to do but there was some extra command i had to run to make it work on an amd apu like 5 years ago

well when i was just dicking with manjaro it seemed that, according to it, my USB drives couldn’t be read, and doing ls /dev/disk/by-label showed that the only devices it could read were the windows partitions already on the laptop, and not the USB drive itself. just used another one and it had the same problem.

heard of anything like that happening? i’d hate to go around trying to look for my SD card stuff to try and get this thing going.

You have another thumb drive ?

Try Etcher
Not used it myself but heard many say it works well for them on Windows and Linux

i would suggest trying Manjaro again as it has good hardware detection, even just to check drivers for another distribution.

ACPI errors can happen with older hardware, but can often still boot to desktop ok.
I have an old laptop that was showing 2 errors. I got rid of them by switching to an older kernel, but made no difference except for not getting warnings

I have a similar issue on my Vega 11. Sometimes I have to edit grub (usually by press ‘e’ when grub is loading) and put “nomodeset” somewhere early in the line that starts with “linux”

linux   /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=4a6c81e9-e31d-482c-bb53-39513fe6fabe rw nomodeset quiet splash

alrighty, looks pretty nifty

will do, right now i’m gonna load up a windows usb and clear off all the partitions and start from scratch

son of a bitch

so i found an old 4GB SD card lying around and decided to use etcher and make that my boot device, and it works like a charm. now what i want to know is why my USB drives wouldn’t work. i’ll test them with etcher and see what happens.

update, USB drives simply will not work as boot devices, probably a laptop issue, but i got kubuntu installed so i guess that’s that. thanks for all your help everyone.

1 Like

Congrats bro! Welcome to Linux .

1 Like

enjoy your Kubuntu dude :sunglasses:

suggest you keep trying to make a Live USB, probably never need it for emergency repairs, but might be vital if anything does happen

i’m almost ready to try and sacrifice animals to get it to work - honestly have no idea why they won’t be detected, but that’s a problem for future vaporware to solve.

for now present vaporware is going to enjoy ricing and making the best goddamn school workstation ever