Ubuntu 18.04.1 takes too long to boot after upgrading kernel through Ukuu

Sorry that my post isn’t helping but I thought I’d ask here instead of starting a new thread, as it is kind of related.

I am also interested in updating the Kernel to try the new AMD drivers as I am not getting the best performance on stock kernel, with AMD pro drivers using an R9-290

So I thought I’d uninstall the drivers and update the Kernel. But I was wondering the best way to create a back-up before updating incase it bugs something up and I need to go back to something stable

Unless you’ve deleted it, the default kernel should be available by selecting “Recovery Mode” in the grub menu.

In Ukuu’s Settings you can set a delay for how long the grub menu stays on screen, so you can deal with it comfortably. I use 8 seconds.

I recall reports about very slow boot times a few weeks ago on the Ubuntuforums site. Don’t know which kernel, etc., but it might be worth a look.

I’m not sure a newer mainline kernel is going to offer a boost to Intel graphics compared to the default Ubuntu kernel. At least a boost a human can notice vs benchmarking software. Does the RS290 remain supported by the AMDGPU driver?

The kernels that Ukuu installs are from the repository of “mainline” kernels Ubuntu maintains. Kernel source is built using Ubuntu kernel configuration files but no Ubuntu patches are applied, while the default kernel is patched and typically gets some code backported from later releases. So, there are differences between the two.

I had trouble two times recently when updating my kernel to a newer version on Ubuntu 18.04. Both times the system appeared to freeze on the splash. For me I could still access TTY by pressing CTRL + ALT + F2.

For me the solution was purging gdm3 and ubuntu-desktop and then reinstalling them. In my case the system always froze when the system was starting the GDM service though, so this probably won’t work if the problem is unrelated to gdm and gnome.

I just had this issue after a kernel upgrade. The system gets stuck but you can still switch terminals (but it’s annoying since systemd will be respawning the display-manager and switching the terminal every dozen seconds) or SSH into the machine provided you have OpenSSH installed.

Reading their bug tracker it seems that the culprit is GDM3 and its cache files caused by the kernel upgrade. Deleting the contents of /var/lib/gdm3 brought me to a working login screen almost imediately.

1 Like