Ubuntu 14.04 issues

hey there, so today i installed ubuntu 14,04 x64 on my acer v3 772g notebook and i seem to have a few issues here an there

1) i installed nvidia drivers from this guide and i still have screen tearing and dont know how to fix it?

2) system wont restart or shutdown for some reason it just becomes unresponsive

3) i managed to install nvidia drivers and what about the intel HD drivers?

4) and after installing nvidia driver the fan is being very audible :(

1. There are two methods described in that thread, idk which method you used. If you used terminal method, try standard GUI method from Ubuntu driver manager.
  2. After driver update or from the get go?
  3. Not sure, but quick google search returned this page http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/prime-indicator-lets-you-quickly-switch.html , you may want to try, but wait until someone who knows respond if that is right method.
  4. That suggest that you did not installed driver properly, it seems that GPU is stuck at 3D clocks and voltage, try driver from driver manager (there are two proprietary drivers in Ubuntu 14.04 for nVidia maybe, choose recommended one, if fails, another etc.).

1) i used the ppa methed to install drivers i.e the first one mentioned in the guide

2)system wont reboot or shutdown was prior to driver update

hey thanks for the quick reply. i dig in a bit about the issue and it seems that i can switch between intel HD gfx and dedicated GPU using nvidia x server settings app. switching to igpu saved me the screen tearing issue and the fan speed is under control. but when switching to dedicated gpu its back to square one :(

You're welcome, i really have no idea what could be the problem, but I'm sure someone already had that problem, try to reinstall nvidia drivers (via driver manager), and wait until someone who had that problem respond.

1 Like

Sometimes there are issues with hybrid graphics in ubuntu which means that it may be neccesary to disable the intel driver and blacklist it, so this guide may help. This could be the issue but I am not completely certain of it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/HybridGraphics

There;s also an arch wiki on it. I find the open source drivers to be ok, but there;s also a guide for installing the nvidia ones https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

hey man looks like ive been running open source driver the whole time. and hybrid graphics reminds me of bumblebee project, what is it actually to address this hybrid gpu problem?

sorry about the screen shot i have a dual monitor setup

I never tried bumblebee but it was for that, although it was a certain line of nvidia;s. Good to see steam there :]

so i am using open source drivers right? if so how do i switch to latest proprietary drivers ? oh and the reboot and shutdown issues resolved themselves weird

Try

lshw -c video

in the terminal and see what config line says. In the screen shot it suggests the open source binary is in use, worth checking this way too anyway

*-display
description: 3D controller
product: GK106M [GeForce GTX 760M]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:52 memory:d2000000-d2ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff memory:b0000000-b1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:b2000000-b207ffff
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 06
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:48 memory:d3000000-d33fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)

this is the output in terminal