Ubisoft Avatar issue workaround on W10 Edge Browser

I have been going rounds with Ubi’s support for 2 weeks now. They are about as helpful as a third ass cheek when trying on pants. For about a year, I was unable to change my Ubi avatar using the default Edge browser on W10. On their support page, it does say to try a different browser, like chrome or firefox. But I really don’t want to pollute my new pc with a bunch of extra spyware and hidden files after uninstalling them.
In a fit of genius, or maybe just noticing the obvious for once, I found a fix for changing that elusive avatar without downloading a separate browser. This fix does depend on having at least 1 Steam game installed that you can launch.

1. Open up your Steam folder, this can be found in your files at “This PC”- “Local Disc” (Usually the C drive, or which ever has your Steam games on it)- “Program Files X86”- “Steam”.
  2. Create a new file in the Steam folder and name it something awesome, like “Ubi Avatar”.
  3. Open a new files window, then drag and drop your avatar pic from your pictures or wherever into your new Steam file.
  4. Now launch Steam, In the top left corner, chose “settings”, then “Web Browser”.
  5. To the right, a spot will appear to enter in your “Web Browser Home Page”. Type or copy in https://www.google.com ,then save it.
  6. Launch your Steam game, then hit Shift-Tab like normal to open the Steam overlay, and select the Web Browser at the bottom.
  7. Search for Ubi’s website or the Uplay page, and log in. Then, under your current avatar, click for the drop-down box and select “Account Management”. This will open a new tab.
  8. Click on your profile and the profile picture will come up. Click on the pencil icon in the lower corner, then select “upload”.
  9. All of the files in your Steam folder will appear, find and click on the new file you just created, and then click to open it.
  10. The new pic will upload instantly, then save it on Ubi’s page.
  11. Go back into your Steam folder and delete the file if you don’t want any issues in the future. Or just leave it there and fill it with pictures and change your avatar every day. Your call:)

It still seems odd to me that the default web browser for the bulk of planet Earth’s gaming pc’s doesn’t work properly on Ubisoft’s website. Talk about being out-of-touch with your customer base.

Have you checked if this I needed at all any more? Microsoft are pushing out the new Edge based on chromium. This is the default going forward.

I try to stay clear of Chrome, or anything like it. Not that google isn’t still spying on me already. I’m still the only person who probably goes to netflix.com instead of using their app. Most people would use their phone or just install a browser. I have a land line:)
But I have had this issue for a year, across 2 pc’s. I made sure the proper ports were forwarded from Ubi’s support page, but no luck. Tried in-private, tried clearing cookies and cache. And Ubi support is worse than Microsoft’s, if you can imagine that.

Uhh, the Steam overlay browser is a skinned Chromium though? Which is why it would work.

If I’m remembering correctly the Steam browser has access to all your files like a normal browser as well, so you could probably skip most of the steps and just go to your pictures directly.

Just one to look out for this year. It sounds like it will solve the issue as well.

Also it’s chromium not chrome. The distinction is worth making. Chromium is the open source browser project.

Microsoft have taken it as a base to make the new version of edge that will replace the old one this year.

1 Like

Mine only opened steam files. I am an idiot, to be sure. I thought this would be useful to other people who went rounds trying to work it out with Ubi support. It only takes a minute, and I didn’t download and install anything on my pc.

I’ve swapped to Chromium Edge for all my work stuff and it’s been working like it should so far.

And being Chromium based means I can use the same extensions I already use with Chrome on my desktop and Chromium on my PBP.

I could be wrong on what files it can access, I disabled the Steam overlay a while ago because of performance issues.

People without Steam could try IE as well, that’s still baked into Windows, albeit Microsoft tries to hide it a little.

I had no idea. I always thought chromium was a chrome hybrid.

I totally didn’t think of trying the old Internet Explorer. I guess opening Ubi’s site with that might have worked much easier.