U2711 HDMI 2560x1440 HELP!

Hello,

Recently, I bought a Dell U2711, which has a maximum resolution of 2560x1440, however, if you're using HDMI, it will only allow 1920x1080. I've been fiddling with custom resolutions and such, but it doesn't seem to work for me, also I don't like the idea of having to compromise for frames for second.

Now, my question is, is there some kind of adapter from HDMI to DL-DVI/DP (as this are the only cables that will allow the maximum resolution on the U2711)? I read something about passive and active adapters, saying that you need an active adapter because otherwise DVI would funtion single link, and not dual link, but I also read something about HDMI's backwards compatibility with DVI...

I'm very confused.

Another thing I picked up, is that this cable (http://www.amazon.com/Kumo-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0085B0QNC) works. Don't know if that's true, and I'm not really willing to buy it unless someone can confirm this.

The one who can solve my problem, gets an imaginary cookie from me, and (optionally) an imaginary hug.
Hope you can help!
Thanks in advance. 

Jippe

why don't you just get a dual DVI-D cable

the monitor has hdmi 1.3 so hdmi should support 1440 however whats your video card your useing? and yes I would still recommend display port or dvi duel link as the monitor has both those connection types as well

Thanks for your replies. I use HDMI, because I send my audio (7.1) over it, to my amp, to my monitor. If there is no monitor connected to the amp, the pc won't send video to it. And since HDMI cannot send audio without video, I have to use it.

I have a GTX670, so that probably isn't the problem.(1DP, 1DL-DVI-I, 1DL-DVI-D, 1HDMI)

Jippe

EDIT: Unless someone knows a way to send audio through HDMI, while there is no video-using device at the end...

I think you should try to plug you monitor with a Dual Link DVI-D cable in and give your amp audio over an audio jack conection if your motherboard supports 7.1 audio.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but I already fixed it, I plugged my monitor in using DVI-D and also plugged. HDMI in, then I blocked the mouse from the HDMI display, but still used the audio from it.

Jippe