U.S. Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission investigating apple over slowing iPhones

Could be big but it has this in there

according to people familiar with the matter

Thoughts?

I don’t get the whole “monitor battery’s health” Apple tried to do.

Like what’s the point if it’s their own damn software updates that’s hurting battery life? It’s like Apple pretending to protect your battery from themselves or something? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

As I understand it other phones have excess battery that they can tap into when it begins to degrade and help extend the life of the battery.

Apple in an attempt to have long lasting batteries and bigger mAh ratings did not have this reserve, it was the full use of the battery. So when it started to degrade there was no way to stop it. Updates to the OS with new features that would be always on, and “optimisations” to keep then older iPhones up to pace with newer ones did nothing to help as they tax the battery even more.

Basically they did it to them selves. The speculation is that they have been slowing the phones down so as not to run the battery so hard and slow the speed of the battery degradation which if the above about the battery is correct then this would make sense and as far as the users are concerned is actually a good thing. The alternative is even shorter battery lives, granted with full speed of the phone, and potential battery issues like heat and swelling and potentially fire in some cases.

2 Likes

I never knew this was the cause of the situation…

I’m starting to think this might actually be the best solution to a shitty situation. Never been on Apple’s side before. This feels wrong…

This is all hear say, but it fits and I heard about the battery size thing a long time before these slowdown problems appeared if that is worth anything.

I never have looked into it though.

EDIT: I looked into it very quickly and… Nothing, literally could not find any useful information quickly. What I did find was that old Nokias had audio codec quality options that could be accesed with keypad codes. One of these reduced the audio quality and thus yielded up to 30% more battery life. This idea has persisted to this day but unfortunately it also gets in the way of any legit information on the reality of modern smartphone batteries.

So I cannot confirm anything I have said so far.

1 Like

FTC = Sure go ahead and investigate apple if you believe there has been some anti-consumer practices or false advertising etc. This would make some sense but of course is not mentioned in the article aside from stating that there are some consumer advocate groups looking to sue.

SEC = Maybe if apple has engaged in insider trading or some other practices that would adversely affect investors, then by all means go ahead.

DOJ = Let’s make an example out of apple for the whole San Bernardino thing and make sure everyone in Silicon Valley plays ball when we ask for a backdoor. This makes no sense.

Won’t affect sales, fans of apple are hard core

3 Likes

That was terrible.

I think I see what you did there?

It’s about damn time.