Two L1 KVMs One Computer

Hello!

I have some a specific use case scenario for your KVMs. I wanted to ask about your KVMs specifically because you’ve done some fancy firmware work on them.

I have a 3950x Gaming Rig w/ 128GB of RAM I also use for workstation purposes.

I also have a Work-assigned MB Pro.

Two desks – one is a corner desk the other is straight.

The 3950x is on the corner desk, with the Samsung CRG9 attached.

The MB Pro is on the straight desk, using a Dell 43" U4320Q, for work purposes.

I want to put both of these rigs on the corner desk. Each leaf of the corner desk will have a complete setup keyboard/mouse/mics. One setup for work, one for play. I have some other smaller monitors I’m going to put between the rigs so each side of the leaf has a “sidecar” in the middle.

I want to use two dual-monitor KVMs, one for each corner leaf setup, and be able to switch to one of four computers on the desk.

OK – that’s all pretty simple, right? Here’s the million dollar question:

How does Windows and Mac handle multiple monitor recognition when two KVMs are plugged in to each of them, but one KVM is serving the Mac and the other Windows? Will windows or mac automatically disconnect and stop extending the desktop, or is there a phantom keep-alive signal from the KVM that would cause the OS’s to continue reading the monitor and sending the extended desktop (or cloned!) to the other monitor?

I’m very interested in your KVMs for this use case but constantly having to also change my desktop extension/monitor settings would be a dealbreaker – because I don’t need the KVM to do that.

I’m very curious to know what your thoughts on this are.

Thanks L1 !
-Luke

when the port is inactive, the computer is notified the monitor is unplugged. It’ll arrange your windows.

we have the level1techs repeater which will prevent the mac from knowing the display was unplugged. Ofc you won’t be able to see those windows in that case.

note: we’ve had a couple reports of people struggling with various mac setups, the l1t repeater has fixed it in every case so far but still struggling to get a couple people to try it. Not sure if this is a big sur update, or what. I’ve always had to use a repeater with my trashcan mac pro, but even without a kvm, that’s true with the korean sony cinema 4k I imported

for dp > hdmi on the console port of the kvm… some people have reported success with that, but I can’t guarantee it. DP and hdmi are not the same kind of singaling. It shouldddddd work with an active adapter but ymmv.

Awesome! Thanks Wendell!

Also super quick response! Love you guys!

One other quick question: If the sidecar monitors are HDMI only – I am assuming a DP->HDMI dongle should work off the end of the KVM?