Two 6870's or one 6950?

Should I get a 2GB 6950 or spend a little bit extra and throw two 6870's into the system I'm going to build?

(Sorry for overly simplistic post.)

Two 6870s will smoke a 6950.

In fact, two 6870s are significantly better than a GTX 580

The money is totally worth it.

I am with Boov, i'd go with 2x 6870s

Thanks, guys. I was leaning that way anyway.

If you're going to be using only one monitor then go with the dual 6870s, especially if you wouldn't be planning to add another 6950 for crossfire down the road (if you were to buy the 6950 in the first place). If you're using multiple monitors though, the more video memory you can get the better.

So two 6950s would be good in a dual screen setup?

HyperHorse said:

So two 6950s would be good in a dual screen setup?

Two 6950s might be a little overkill for two monitors. I say that because I'm guessing that one monitor is going to be used for gaming while the other is used for surfing the web or something like that. There aren't many games out there that can utilize only two monitors very well. You usually want to go with either one or three. If you're going with three, though, it would probably be a good idea to use more than one card. You don't have to, but you'll definitely see a difference between the two setups.

I used SLI for a while and it sucked. I didn't see much improvement in games like cod and in many games I saw microstuttering. (Crysis works awesome with SLI btw.. Doubled my fps)

I never used crossfire, so maybe it's awesome.

Also, save your money and just buy one 6870 or a GTX 460. They will play your games just fine and in one year you will be able to upgrade again. It's the same shit every year: spend 600$ on the best card -> microsoft trolls u and says something like ''lol imma launch dx ∞ yo'' -> u have old dx card -> new 200$ card is compatible with the new software -> your 500$ uber-card sucks like a 8800GTX Ultra.

To just answer your question: go with two 6870s.

Sten said:

I used SLI for a while and it sucked. I didn't see much improvement in games like cod and in many games I saw microstuttering. (Crysis works awesome with SLI btw.. Doubled my fps)

I never used crossfire, so maybe it's awesome.

Also, save your money and just buy one 6870 or a GTX 460. They will play your games just fine and in one year you will be able to upgrade again. It's the same shit every year: spend 600$ on the best card -> microsoft trolls u and says something like ''lol imma launch dx ∞ yo'' -> u have old dx card -> new 200$ card is compatible with the new software -> your 500$ uber-card sucks like a 8800GTX Ultra.

To just answer your question: go with two 6870s.

The scaling for multiple graphics cards has gotten a lot better than it used to be, especially with crossfire.

Games? 6950

sheer power? 6870s

Also like vortex said 2GB 6950 for multiple monitors.