TuxClocker: A QT based Linux GPU OC utility

A simple QT5 based GPU OC utility.

Ubuntu instructions:

Prerequisites include libxnvctrl-dev, qt5-default and libqt5x11extras5-dev, so be sure to have that first. You also need the rest of the QT5 dev packages (KDE frameworks tend to install this automatically, especially if you already have KSysGuard)

Double check your libGL.so symlink. NVIDIA drivers combined with a Mesa PPA tend to mess this symlink up. A fix for example is ln -s -r -f libGL.so.1.0.0 libGL.so in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Clone from Git or download a release source package and extract. Run qmake rojekti.pro and then make.

After making, you can optionally install this into /opt/tuxclocker/bin with sudo make install

Run by using ./tuxclocker

Setting a custom fan curve requires DOUBLE CLICKING the graph to set plot points. I didn’t figure this out until madly clicking the graph like crazy. The dev in their wisdom put help hints in a KDE Breeze theme only feature of “What’s this?”

Personally, I would prefer a Tray Icon so I can keep the app minimized without it taking up a taskbar slot, but YAY! Another GUI based GPU OC utility with GPU fan curve capabilities! AMD support is in the works, so if you know how to help, contribute!

Phoronix article: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=TuxClocker-GUI-GPU-Overclock

6 Likes

finally, an overclock utility that wont look out of place on everything but gnome

1 Like

It actually deactivates monitoring calls for the graphs when the monitoring tab is inactive, which is very nice in cutting down NVML calls. All I really need it for is the custom fan curve, and that would work great if there was tray icon functionality, and being able to start minimized to that tray icon from system boot.

This is my preferred utility now for Ubuntu. (and definitely for Kubuntu)

1 Like

Neat! This looks really good on Cinnamon as well.

Yes, but because Cinnamon doesn’t show the question mark and neither does Arc KDE themes, you can’t access the help tips in the app. That’s what confused me so much. There is no help menu, rather the help tips are all in the KDE Breeze theme only “What’s this?” feature.