Tutorial -- Setting up seamless audio for Passthrough gaming in Hardware

The idea is that you can use both audio sources/sinks simultaneously with no latency or patching, let me know what you think.

Nice guide for a hardware setup.

In the light of DisplayPort it would also be nice if you had any tested DisplayPort audio splitters listed (if such a thing exists, I didn’t look but I assume so).

Also for the future a separate software guide would be nice since you already mentioned it. Some people might prefer it even with the down sides :slight_smile:

/edit
Then again, do GPUs even send audio over DisplayPort? It’s in the DP spec, but is it being used? Should have looked that up earlier :smiley:

as far as I can tell, you only get audio over HDMI and SDI. (Yes, display port supports audio, but most laptops and cards only support audio over HDMI because the DP spec makes audio optional, and even fewer monitors support it, so you have to carefully choose your components for DP audio if it’s something you want)

We’re working on a qemu patch guide, but this is (as far as I know) the only solution that covers pretty much every corner case and works without hours of configuration and tweaking.

I record audio regularly so setting things up like this was intuitive, but I often see people lost as to how something like this can be achieved.

1 Like

One solution might be passively adapting your DP signal to DVI-D + audio or HDMI/SDI and then extracting, now that I think about it. depends on your hardware though

Yeah that’s what I was thinking about as an alternative as well. Also connecting a cable to the HDMI output into a splitter, but not a monitor (do just the audio out) should work when duplicating the main monitor. But I’m not sure how that works into the maximum supported resolution of the GPU (since it’s only rendered once but output twice).
If the GPU refuses to output because of missing EDID, could use a dummy plug again if it supports audio.

Could maybe add that, because some GPUs ship without HDMI already.

at that point would it not just make sense to buy a $10 usb sound card

Mh yeah… Fair enough :smiley:

I know that feeling where you just want it to work a certain way, but that way may end up not being the most efficient