Turning Projects - The Back Scratcher

My old faithful back scratcher broke some time ago and I have been using the rather sharp end of the wooden stick which was more painful than I could take. I had some cheap ash or poplar square stock I use for practice blanks. I moved the tail stock on my lathe (Harbor Freight Mini Lathe) as far back as I could and cut the blank to fit. I used a 1/2in Skew Chisel to round the blank and 1/2in Robert Sorby Spindle Master to cut the profile. The groves on the handle are made with a 1/16in parting tool. The claw has a stud that is about 3/8in long and slightly bigger than 1/4in in diameter. I used some Gorilla Glue (expanding type) to keep the claw in there for good this time. Also notice on the back of the old handle you can see the live center mark. I cut mine off further back and turned a clean end for a better look. I will finish the handle with a few coats of boiled linseed oil as soon as I get some.

https://youtu.be/xFtCN0ZPSA8

3 Likes

You legit use a back scratcher????

Lol, yep. I am asleep in under 5 minutes from a good back scratching. How many times I got in trouble while I was dating for falling asleep in the middle of getting my back scratched I could not tell you.

Nice work.

I'm a machinist by day, but I've never gotten around to running a wood lathe. I've always wanted to, it almost looks therapeutic.

Thank you. It is a lot of fun and certainly makes you have to slow down. It's nice because I get to work in the moment and do whatever I want. Plus there is nothing better than the smell of freshly cut wood.

Amazing Back Scratcher. Really loo like classic. I like it. Some days ago, I bought telescoping back scratcher. It also very good, durable and last longer. It very helpful for me when my body gets itchy because of sweat. And it helps me a-lot to scratch my back without twisting body.

Sweet mother of necros