Tuesday News On Mazda

LOL. Crappy cars that die after the warranty is up.

Imagine my surprise. LS swap that RX7. LS swap the Miata. LS SWAP ALL THE THINGS!!!

Nah man, electrics are getting more and more efficient too, and so is electric power generation; solar, wind, etc. We are approaching the last time in human history where energy will be a scarcity.

Hydrogen is just a storage medium - like instead of batteries. The energy is produced/captured elsewhere. Hydrogen is probably a boondoggle, but who knows.

Have you driven one recently they’re pretty good, but it’s hard to beat Mercedes when it comes to being posh. I’ve got a 2009 A5 with 150k on it and it’s flawless. I suppose you do have to take care of them though, which is probably too much to ask for some people.

haha. Running a 3.2l Honda J engine in the Miata, RX7 died about a month ago, trying to decide what to do. Body and transmission are good, so I don’t really want to turn it into a drift missile. Might rebuild the rotary and go carbon seals.

Tempted to do an LS3 and call it done. Might trade it for an e30. As you can see, I don’t know what I want.

Just like dealing with a rotary though.

I hate luxury. I hate European cars. I have a bitchen Camaro 1LE.

Do it. Any LS will work but you probably want an all aluminum. LS7, LS3, or LS6 are probably ideal. LS2 is sort of the red headed step child. But there are cheap as fuck LS1s aplenty.

meh unless its a triple rotor

If you want an LS, do it to a a 200SX, not an RX7

What part of LS SWAP ALL THE THINGS didn’t you understand?

Start with shitcars then? Start with LS Swap Hyundai Accent
There’s probably more LS swapped RX7’s in America now than stock RX7’s

Because when it comes down to it, rotary engines suck. Most people want to have a reliable car that isn’t frustrating and expensive to maintain.

If you want a reliable car, why buy a rotary and then LS swap it? makes no sense. Good thing you guys aren’t right hand drive or the Japan market would be desimated.

3rd gen RX7 is an exceptionally beautiful car with only the engine as its Achilles heel. Throw a LS in there and it’s nearly perfect.

Correct

Wrong

FTFY

No amount of looking after will stop those apex seals from wearing out faster than a LS

Then buy an ls powered car. Simple. Just because an engine might not be as good as another does not mean an ls is the right choice for everyone. There are thousands of different engines just like there are billions of different people. People hold different values and not everyone values the reliability of an ls like you do. If they did, Japan would be full of GM engines. Why GM is important in a discussion about Mazda I don’t know. Rotaries are less efficient and reliable than America’s big v8’s sure but discounting them just because there’s more efficient options already developed styfles development. If rotaries were dead, then Mazda wouldn’t be developing the Skyactive-R. And the Skyactive-X is a stepping stone for the Skyactive-R

1 Like

Oh and I’m about to sell my RX7 and buy a BRZ. More as a interim step between getting an electric car as the new Tesla 3 is just too expensive with the options added that make it appealing to me. Almost but not quite there for me to start using as a daily car. Plus I can’t get one in the UK for 12-18 months anyway!

Absolutely love Mazda and by the time this new motor is out I should be ready to replace my '11 Hatchback… also really hope they bring back that bright blue again. The new blue in the 2018 isn’t bad but it doesn’t pop like mine.

First gen RX7’s have become rare in SCCA competition, for awhile we would have anywhere from 5 to 10 on any given regional weekend up and down the east coast (WDCR would have 20-30 or more), second gen RX7’s aren’t nearly as rare but they are getting there. Both are great track cars just finding cheap donors and parts (namely motors) is problematic.

Electric cars will NOT make a penetration in America until you get them in the hands of apartment dwellers. I would have loved to have gotten one when they were all the craze when you could lease one for 2400/year, insurance was mild and had a huge tax break for it. It would be driving for free and keep my 3 uber low mileage. But I live in an apartment… so no electrical hookups allowed. Once the apartments buy in and properly run the needed infrastructure upgrades, tie them into a certain unit and secure it so no one else can charge you’ll see electric cars take off. That’s going to take time… and money, lots of money which drives up rent.

Love Mazda as well. I’m looking forward to the new 3.

The apartment thing is a huge issue. Our plugs are now turned off because people used vacuums to clean cars! I live in Canada and we are not allowed to plug in block heaters never mind a car. I love living in an apartment and will not change that just to have an electric car. If everyone stopped driving huge trucks to drop kids off at school it would have a huge impact.

Fuel efficient cars will be the future along with electric. Oil is an amazing source of energy we just abuse it.

All your braps are belong to us:

3 Likes

But my rotary ;-;

Friendly reminder that virtually all Hydrogen is made from natural gas and thus no better than burning fossil fuels. There is no reason for this to change unless either natural gas is depleted or energy becomes dirt cheap either.

The LS isn’t the only reliable engine. There’s the Toyota 2JZ, and Nissan RB26. You may not get as much brute force, but you can stay in the lower gears much longer thanks to them easily hitting 8K RPM and up.

Personally I would like to see some Mazda BP, and Volvo Redblock, and Whiteblock swaps.

Don’t get me wrong I like the LS a lot, but I wish to see other swaps, with engines I don’t know anything about, until they tell me about there project.

bth

1 Like

Those are OK, but a LS produces more power, is smaller, lighter, less expensive, easier to swap, and more available and more aftermarket parts (in the US).

Wrenching can be fun or frustrating of somewhere inbetween, but I’d hardly call it exciting.

2 Likes