Trying (unsuccessfully) to create a bootable USB

Like the title says, I'm trying to create a bootable USB. All I did is use UNetbootin to set it all up but when I go to boot from USB it says I can't boot from the device. My computer is running Windows 10 and the OS I'm trying to boot is Puppy Linux. On a side note, can I use the USB for storing anything else or do I need to keep it empty except for the boot into. Any ideas?

When installing puppy Linux the easiest way to go about it is burn a copy to a cd and then install puppy Linux from its installer to the usb drive. I'm not 100% sure if you can save other files to the drive I know on the ones I create you cant.

So don't use UNetbootin? Just burn a copy to a CD and copy the contents of the CD to the USB drive? Not afraid to admit that I'm a total noob when it comes to all this. I only have 3 quarters of IT classes under my belt :)

Actually in the installer when you live boot the CD there should be an option to install to usb. And no worries everyone starts out new to this at some point.

I can get into the BIOS and change the boot order. What I'm seeing is:
OS Boot Manager (UEFI)
Boot from EFI File (the option I select)

Then I see the following options:
USB20FD (I select this one)
System

The next ones that show up are a bit weird:
<.>
<..>

Selecting either of these two options doesn't do anything. I'm going to try from a CD when I get home.

UNetbootin didn't work for me either one time, don't know why. Afaik you can download the img file, open it and just copy the files to your FAT32 formatted USB drive.
In order to store files I think you can create a seperate folder for instance where you put them.

GIve Rufus a try its usally what I use whne creating bootable Linux media

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

4 Likes

I haven't tried it myself, but I heard this one is pretty good.

2 Likes

Not sure what brand usb stick you're using but it would be best to avoid using sandisk ones. They tend to have hidden partitions that make the computer not read the proper partition when booting into it.

source: IT friend and first hand experience.