Trying to put a GUI on Arch-Linux, but there are some road blocks that prevent obvious solutions

Your mount instructions worked! Doing that lsblk command now says its mount point is /mnt

However when i try to use the pacman -U command like encfs suggested it still says that o
It could not find or read package

make sure your in the directory of the packages

cd /mnt
ls  -l

ls is the list command, it will list whats in the directory. (useful to check what you want is actually there.

Also, you can use TAB to autocomplete, its useful for.. everything, but especially to complete names of files etc. that can be easily mis-spelt. Its easy to use you start typing and press tab, if there's more than one entry it will only auto complete so far, you can press tab twice to show all viable entries.

example:

pacman -U ncurs<TAB>

should autocomplete the whole file name for you.

It worked! But now when i try to use "wifi-menu" it says i need to install 'wpa_supplicant' could you perhaps link me to what i need to install and anything else i might need in oreder to use wifi-menu so i can pacman -S xorg and build the GUI

wpa_supplicant is probably the only other package you need (see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl) ,

However if its easier, boot up the install media you have, disk or usb, the one you used to install Arch.

Connect to the wifi using wifi-menu on the live OS. Then mount your install partition like you did when you were going to originally install (i.e. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt, etc.).

Then run the following and reboot

pacstrap /mnt wpa_supplicant

The methoth you told me out to do with straight downloading the files worked easiest. Thanks, ill get back to you if i have anymore trouble

Come back with any questions. im surprised arch didn't install all wifi stuff by default. it seems to install some but not all of whats needed.

You might find this useful as the wiki doesnt describe it well. here are some common commands you can use from the available systemd utils that help set up and maintain the system easier.

Once you have xorg installed. if you want to use gnome the following packages installs almost everything (gnome, gnome-extra), if you want to install kde use the following (plasma, kf5, kf5-aids, kde-applications)

edit: for kde also install sddm if not already pulled in and enable using systemctl enable sddm. for gnome systemctl enable gdm. these are login managers.

After switching to windows and downloading the wpa_supplicant file
I switched back to arch, went through the mounting process that worked the first time.
Click y after inputting the pacman command

And it came up with the usual error lines that chase down the screen when i have no internet

What command did you input? You downloaded the package manually? You need to use pacman -U it doesnt connect to the internet for that.

I will get back to you soon, is there a more direct way we can communicate like twitter or something?

IRC
http://teksyndicate.com/chat

or join irc.efnet.org #teksyndicate,#teklinux (its the same place as the link above) on your favorite client. Im usualy on there but not been today (just been busy), however im also going to bed soon so i wont be much help, but there's plenty of people on IRC who will, point them here so they know what your problem is and what you've done.

ok thanks, ill also post on this thread later