Trying to overclock

Trying to overclock an amd ryzen 7 1700x on a biostar x370gt7. However, from what i can dig up online i should have an option for amd pstates. That is not the case after the latest bios update from biostar. The bios in question is the agesa update 1.0.0.6 it is from 6-23-2017. For the life of me i cannot succesfully overclock. Any help would be appreciated. I know Wendell got a 3.8ghz oc on the same mobo but the itx version.

Why did you update the BIOS? Was there a piece of hardware not functioning under the old BIOS? Was there a specific fix in the new BIOS that you needed?

I have seen many threads like this here and in other places where someone updated BIOS either for some magical performance enhancement, or as a part of their troubleshooting procedure (usually when they have software issues), and end up in this same situation. They end up with some sort of changes that messes with their overclocking, RAM settings, or worse.

There needs to be a good reason for updating BIOS. Maybe there is a hardware incompatibility problem that is solved by the new BIOS, or perhaps there were new options added to the settings. These types of things would be outlined in the release notes of the new BIOS. My understanding is that motherboard manufacturers don’t intentionally work on updating a BIOS just to hide all kinds of secret performance enhancements for everyone to hunt down.

Now there can be some changes that affect performance, but more often than not it is a detriment and not an enhancement. I don’t see too many posts of people getting amazing hidden performance boosts from an update. If you happen to be a sponsored overclocker or custom system builder, then getting paid to hunt down little tweaks and minuscule performance enhancements may be worth the trouble. Very few individuals fall into this category, and even then they have to weigh in the amount of time dealing with regressions.

Trying to squeeze blood from a stone usually yields blood from your hand and not the stone. It’s one of the reasons why I do more underclocking than overclocking these days. It is such a gigantic disservice to people to recommend a BIOS update as a repair method to a once functioning system. This is one thing more than anything else that I wish would change on computer enthusiast sites.

As far as your issue, you would probably need to go back to an older BIOS (if the is possible), or hope that it is a regression that gets fixed in a newer BIOS. There may be other ways of replacing it or doing a hot flash.

I’m sorry you are having issues and sorry to vent on your thread, but I feel many people misunderstand the severity and necessity of BIOS updates. The chance of an accidental regression is very high. The chance of a new BIOS having something besides what they list in the update notes (other than regressions) is very very low. If your computer functions properly and later on starts to have a problem, there is no time I can think of that a BIOS update ever fixed anything like that. At least it didn’t brick your PC. Perhaps someone with the same board can point you in the right direction to change your BIOS to something that works.

I get you but before the agesa update I could not even load any linux operating system. Without that latest bios update I was going to be stuck with windows. So yes very important that I did this update,