Trying to make a Text file double click executable Manjaro [solved]

Did some experimentation and found some that worked

How do you delete this post, can only edit it?

I marked it as solved.

You can also just edit in your solution in post for others tee read and maybe some come with the same or better solutions.

1 Like

Never did find out how to make a text file run with a double click like I did in Ubuntu, but what I did find for Manjaro works better for what I wanted it to do.

This is what I did as best as I can describe.

Open mousepad (or whatever editor you use) add the line
nvidia-settings -assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
save file as filename.sh
open terminal in file location of the file and do the following commands

chmod +x filename.sh
ls -al filename.sh
add a link to this file in the taskbar
Right click taskbar icon properties click the icon on the right Add a new empty item.
Fill in the info, select icon, select folder location, put in command ./fielname.sh ,click run in terminal.
This created at Icon that was a dropdown of icons on my taskbar that was a single click and launch. You can make just a single icon on the task bar, by right clicking on the task bar, go down to panel + add new item click on Launcher. Right click taskbar icon properties click the icon on the right Add a new empty item.
Fill in the info, select icon, select folder location, put in command ./fielname.sh ,click run in terminal.
This is what I have for notes in my learn linux command doc,

Would like to know what
ls -al filename.sh
does, I wanted to install a game from GOG and that was one of the commands they said to use, It looks like it makes a list of what is in the directory. Just what it all does I do not know.

ls -al filename.sh is the list of filename.sh in your current directory with the 'all' and 'long' modifiers.

-a shows all files, including hidden ones that are usually ".filename.extension"

-l shows the details of the file including permissions (typically something like 0764 or another combination of numbers) and the last modified date.

-l might include other things like creation date but i can't remember off the top of my head.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, will add to my file of Learned Linux commands

For double click i wanted to explain but this link will provide you with the details to make it work in most cases.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/465531/how-to-make-a-shell-file-execute-by-double-click

But usually it depends on the Window manager (not the OS) how you it handles script files. A friend of my has made shortcut keys to start scripts. If he does certain combinations his scripts will run on the background.

If you want to know what flags do in a linux command.
man ls if you got the manuals installed with most Linux versions do by default. You get a manual that gives full explanation on flags and how you can use them.
What also works but shorter explanation is.
ls --help or ls -h.
man --help and -h work on almost all Linux applications in the terminal.

1 Like